Gravel and Trails - new options ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Having lately explored some gravel and mountain tracks on a hybrid, i'm looking for something more fun and responsive...
and suitable for 3-4 days unsupported mountain trails + tarmac adventures.

currently have a Genesis Equilibrium in 725 - which i love, and does handle most of the above - however there are some limitations:
tyre can't fit above 32c
rim brakes

so, i'm looking for a replacement, sub £2K, to address the above.
Would like to stay with steel or upgrade to Titanium - but would consider AL at a lower price-point - CF doesn't appeal for this budget and use.
My shortlist was:
Ribble CGR 725
Canyon Grail 7 AL
(but these are unavailable til Nov and Mar 21 respectively!!)

So, if anyone could give me some pointers/advice on the below and other alternatives, that would be grand...
really like the look of Planet X Tempest (£1.8K build)
- cannot find any reviews on this frame, is that because it's just so good for the money?
also the Merlin Malt G2X is available (G1X was well reviewed)
- although an Alloy frame it's well under budget so I would add the Mason x Hunt 4 season wheels bringing total to £1.6K

Thanks!

I've ordered a Tempest. It looks to fit the bill but I want it as a Winter bike too so I'm getting a double chainset on.

There's a few YouTube reviews - Guy Kesterven for one.

vickster

Legendary Member
Having lately explored some gravel and mountain tracks on a hybrid, i'm looking for something more fun and responsive...
and suitable for 3-4 days unsupported mountain trails + tarmac adventures.

currently have a Genesis Equilibrium in 725 - which i love, and does handle most of the above - however there are some limitations:
tyre can't fit above 32c
rim brakes

so, i'm looking for a replacement, sub £2K, to address the above.
Would like to stay with steel or upgrade to Titanium - but would consider AL at a lower price-point - CF doesn't appeal for this budget and use.
My shortlist was:
Ribble CGR 725
Canyon Grail 7 AL
(but these are unavailable til Nov and Mar 21 respectively!!)

So, if anyone could give me some pointers/advice on the below and other alternatives, that would be grand...
really like the look of Planet X Tempest (£1.8K build)
- cannot find any reviews on this frame, is that because it's just so good for the money?
also the Merlin Malt G2X is available (G1X was well reviewed)
- although an Alloy frame it's well under budget so I would add the Mason x Hunt 4 season wheels bringing total to £1.6K

Thanks!
Spa Ti Elan?
Genesis Croix de fer?

@Karlos rider

I have a CDF 30, 2019 version that is in 725 also. the fit is almost identical to my Equilibrium

you can pick these up for under £2k. if its any use to you, i used mine to ride the Ridgeway recently and that aint flat or smooth. i too had 4 days stuff on board.

I know the Equilibrium wouldn't have handled the RW as i rode part of it on it and it wasn't happy, but then again, it isn't designed for that sort of riding. ive used the EQ with the full bike packing set up on the road and it did a very decent job of it too.

is there anything stopping you from staying with steel?

Kajjal

Guru
You are looking at the right things, my first gravel bike would only take 33mm tyres which was a bit bumpy, go for as much clearance as you can. My current bike a diverge takes up to 42mm tyres and I find the 38mm tyres it came with fine on or off road. One thing I did like with my diverge was the future shock which while only 20mm of suspension is very helpful in smoothing things out.

vickster

Legendary Member

OP
OP
K

Karlos rider

Regular
Hi all, thanks for replies!
the Spa Elan looks great although tyre clearance looks limited - I'll enquire on this point as would like the option of 40mm+
Genesis steel CdF seems a strong option but a little heavy given the price, although secondhand is an option if available

in all cases looking to have thru axles and potential of big tyres for mud, this seems more common on the newer frames

DRM

Guru
https://advntr.cc/category/reviews/reviews-bikes/
Have a look at the above link, there will be plenty of gravel bike reviews, some of the names won’t be the usual suspects, Which is no bad thing as I believe they don’t offer real value for money spec wise, have a look at Marin & GT too, have a think about what you want the bike to do , will it be a more off road type road bike, or a proper mega tyre clearance, low geared mud muncher, or something in between the two, a 1x or 2x setup, dropper post, the ability to use 650b as well as 700c wheels Just off roading, or maybe do a bit of touring/bike packing on it, or even race on it.
it’s not quite as clear cut as some would make out.

Top Bottom