Gravel bike - £5000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DogmaStu

I’m not sure about winter as I have never cycled in cold conditions but I reckon it should be ok for rain. My work place has a very secure bike shed and I plan on leaving a heavy lock there once I start cycling to work. Payment terms are £210 (after tax) a month and final payment of £600. Total savings of £1800. The dilemma is having cycled using the powerfly 7 ebike especially up the steep fox valley hill, it was effortless. Having that to commute would be a dream but then building fitness up and cycling on the SL6, that would be better in the long run.

It'll be fine for Winter.

I have a Specialized Diverge Pro that I bought in February (RRP £8k, got it for £6.2k) and it has been a great all-rounder.

These bikes are mostly carbon and durable materials, they don't mind snow or rain providing you wipe them down at the end of each ride. Just pay attention to the chain and cassette and keep them well lubricated and regularly cleaned.

591F6FBF-2102-4131-A6F5-B99881ADE8CB.JPEG

IMG-8296.JPG

gzoom

Über Member
Have a look at the Crux as well. Top spec build is 7.5kg so lighter than road bikes!! I'm really impressed with the frameset of my Creo, Specialized will be my default choice for new bikes going forwards - Trek, and Boardman is what I've bought new before.

https://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/bikes/model/crux/

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Is this going to be your main commuter bike ? If so, I'd look at something where it will take full guards, and also get a spare set of road wheels, so you can swap out. It's a lot of money for a commuter, so will need good locks if left any where and factor in replacement parts, chains cassettes.

If it's going to be used a lot on the road, then I'd go for a double front ring - Shimano GRX comes in double, as it will give you closer gear steps when on the road. Also, if you are relying on a bike shop to service a commuter, this will be expensive.

vickster

Legendary Member
Is this going to be your main commuter bike ? If so, I'd look at something where it will take full guards, and also get a spare set of road wheels, so you can swap out. It's a lot of money for a commuter, so will need good locks if left any where and factor in replacement parts, chains cassettes.

If it's going to be used a lot on the road, then I'd go for a double front ring - Shimano GRX comes in double, as it will give you closer gear steps when on the road. Also, if you are relying on a bike shop to service a commuter, this will be expensive.

Think the Trek is SRAM eTap

vickster

Legendary Member
Presumably your job is secure for the next 12 months, bear in mind if you leave usually you have to pay the full whack for the bike (excluding any tax benefit), something to consider if you don't have much spare cash as you suggest

gzoom

Über Member

OP says it to be used for 'Days off'.

I could use my Creo for commuting, it has mounts for racks and guards.....No way, why running such a good bike on our awful inner city roads.

vickster

Legendary Member
It’s being bought on C2W hence the assumption
It might at least be used occasionally for commuting as stated in post #9 :thumbsup:

Gillstay

Über Member
I can’t go second hand or would have. Can’t pay up front. Other option would be Canyon Grail:ON. I’ve only read reviews where people have turned the assist off and it’s light enough to keep pedalling without assist. Maybe worth a look.

Edit: Turns out Canyon not on cycle to work with my employer :sad:

I am amazed you say this as if your short of money why are you interested in buying such an expensive bike just for days off rather than a good commuter to save you money. I don't wish to be rude, but this would feel like madness if my son came to me for advice like this.

vickster

Legendary Member
Also, whatever you do make sure it’s fully insured for theft and accidental damage.
You don’t want to be stuck paying for a bike and an end fee for a bike you no longer have to ride! You’ll still be paying north of 3k over the term.

You’ll likely need a cycling specific policy and for a bike with a replacement value of £4.5k that’s likely to be several hundred pounds a year if not more for full cover.
Do you research before committing to the voucher. Call companies as you’re insuring a bike that isn’t actually yours.
You could check your home contents policy but may not cover crash damage replacement and will need to be a named item either way.
Insurance is your responsibility for a C2W purchase (might even be in the scheme Ts & Cs).

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It’s being bought on C2W hence the assumption
It might at least be used occasionally for commuting as stated in post #9 :thumbsup:

Hah hah, don't be silly. TBH I got far better value buying second hand than CTW - as mentioned up thread, a lightly used Gravel bike cheap, then again might be over the affordable 'you need the cash in your pocket' than the £300 or so a month needed to pay bike off over 12 months

vickster

Legendary Member
Hah hah, don't be silly. TBH I got far better value buying second hand than CTW - as mentioned up thread, a lightly used Gravel bike cheap, then again might be over the affordable 'you need the cash in your pocket' than the £300 or so a month needed to pay bike off over 12 months

Except he has no money (I’d get an interest free credit card personally, insure the bike and pay the card off asap but you need a decent credit rating for a bike of that level)

DogmaStu

I really don’t understand this gravel riding thing….is it a new must have?

My road bikes are fast on the road but not at all great on trails off-road.

My 29er MTB is fine for the road albeit slow compared to my road bikes but great on the trails, especially the more technical stuff.

My gravel bike is a hybrid of the aforementioned bikes: it can be ridden on the road without feeling too slow and it excels on trails albeit not when it gets too rocky and technical. It sits somewhere between what the road bikes and MTB excel at giving you most of both.

It's not a 'new must have' and hybrid bikes similar to this have existed for decades; a CX bike with wider tyres, for example, or MTB with narrower ones. Today's gravel bikes are simply out-of-the-box ready for trails and road - wheels, suspension, tougher-than-road-bike elements etc.

Top Bottom