Gravel bike advice/options

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
So I've decided I want a gravel bike, if nothing else I just think they are cool however feel they will suit my needs for a do anything type of ride and just after some advice from you lovely lot.
I had bidded on a Norco search xr steel framed rig on Ebay however this fell through but I kinda fell in love with this bike when I found it and cannot find any options to buy them in the UK at this point which is a shame.
I've since upped my budget a bit as this is a bike I'm planning on using alot and will be keeping alot of years hopefully.
After some research I'm pretty set on a Ribble gravel al, just need to decide what spec to go for.
Main questions are:

Any of you guys own or have experience of Ribble bikes.
Groupset options, I'm leaning towards the 2x grx 400 however like the idea of the single chain ring 600 or sram. The bike will be getting used for bikepacking for overnighters with tent etc hence the lean towards double chain ring up front for more gearing options, again unless anyone has any experience with either option coming out on top.
I like all the frame mount options, especially on the forks.

I'm also open to other options if anyone has any advice which is the main reason for the thread.
Budget is around 2k.
700c wheelset is a must, I have an irrational avoidance to 650b for some reason.
I'm aware Ribble do a steel frameset which I'm also considering but not interested in carbon particularly.
Hydro brakes are also a must.
Weight isn't a major factor but like the idea of something around the 10kg mark

Thanks in advance for any advice guys.

vickster

Legendary Member

OP
OP
Scotchlovingcylist

Scotchlovingcylist

@vickster I've always considered Planet X bikes a bit 'boring but solid' I appreciate many like them and my views are probably unfounded ^_^. That being said a titanium build for 2k is very intriguing, I knew there was a reason I sought advice!
Never heard of Rondo but that st 1 is a looker.
Thanks!

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Groupset options, I'm leaning towards the 2x grx 400 however like the idea of the single chain ring 600 or sram. The bike will be getting used for bikepacking for overnighters with tent etc hence the lean towards double chain ring up front for more gearing options, again unless anyone has any experience with either option coming out on top.

1x groupsets are great if you spend a fair bit of time on mixed surfaces, where you're changing several gears at once as you transition between the different surfaces. If you intend riding fast on tarmac, then 1x is not so great, you end up with gaps in the gears that can disrupt your cadence. Another big advantage for having 1x is the ability to continue to run wide tires on 700c rims, I currently run 47mm wide tires, which I couldn't do if I had a front changer on the bike.

With touring and bikepacking, there are other factors to consider. When I bought my Kona I had a SRAM Rival 1 groupset with a 10 - 42, 11 speed cassette married to a 36 tooth chainring. Fine for the riding I did around Northern Germany, however, bikepacking in Slovenia nearly killed me, with a 24 inch bottom gear, it was nowhere near enough for the hills. I pondered ways to make the gearing more friendly and realised that a front chainring was only €25. So I now run a 34 tooth chainring for normal riding and then before a big tour, I swap this out for a 28 tooth chainring. This then gives me a 18 inch bottom gear and sacrifices top end speed with only a 90 inch top gear, but loaded up this is more than adequate.

Have you considered Sonder bikes? Alpkits own brand, for 1700 pounds, you can get an aluminium framed Sonder with SRAM Rival 1 groupset, one group set up from Apex and really well suited to gravel riding. Sonder bikes are quite well regarded and the Camino gets good reviews. I actually own a Sonder Mountain bike and really like it, a well put together bike that was good value for money.

To be very boring and dull one thing that I think is often overlooked in comparing bikes is the cost of the consumables, especially for ones that are going to be getting a lot of use. I'd suggest having a look at the cost of things like chains and cassettes for the various options.

If a bike is going to be used for bikepacking or touring it can probably expect to to be treated a bit rougher than if it wasn't. I do wonder if some people spend a lot of money on new bikes and then are afraid to actually use them for what they planned for fear of being stolen or damaged.

One option is to have a think about how you plan to use the bike. For example, a stronger wheelset and cassette more suited to touring/bikepacking could be switched out for lighter wheels for bombing around. Or a dynohub if commuting. Lots of options to get the best bang for your buck.

I'm a fan of spending money on experiences rather than things. If someone offered me 2k for a bike I'd struggle to spend 500 on the bike but 1500 could take me a lot of places!

I'll butt out now with my negativity and let you enjoy the excitement ^_^

Edit: I see Chris has already made some suggestions. Good advice.

tom73

Guru
1x groupsets are great if you spend a fair bit of time on mixed surfaces, where you're changing several gears at once as you transition between the different surfaces. If you intend riding fast on tarmac, then 1x is not so great, you end up with gaps in the gears that can disrupt your cadence. Another big advantage for having 1x is the ability to continue to run wide tires on 700c rims, I currently run 47mm wide tires, which I couldn't do if I had a front changer on the bike.

With touring and bikepacking, there are other factors to consider. When I bought my Kona I had a SRAM Rival 1 groupset with a 10 - 42, 11 speed cassette married to a 36 tooth chainring. Fine for the riding I did around Northern Germany, however, bikepacking in Slovenia nearly killed me, with a 24 inch bottom gear, it was nowhere near enough for the hills. I pondered ways to make the gearing more friendly and realised that a front chainring was only €25. So I now run a 34 tooth chainring for normal riding and then before a big tour, I swap this out for a 28 tooth chainring. This then gives me a 18 inch bottom gear and sacrifices top end speed with only a 90 inch top gear, but loaded up this is more than adequate.

Have you considered Sonder bikes? Alpkits own brand, for 1700 pounds, you can get an aluminium framed Sonder with SRAM Rival 1 groupset, one group set up from Apex and really well suited to gravel riding. Sonder bikes are quite well regarded and the Camino gets good reviews. I actually own a Sonder Mountain bike and really like it, a well put together bike that was good value for money
Alpkit currently have a sale on inc ex display so you may even end up saving a few quid.
They will build to your spec too.
Another one to think about are North Road they come with custom paint job inc.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
To be very boring and dull one thing that I think is often overlooked in comparing bikes is the cost of the consumables, especially for ones that are going to be getting a lot of use. I'd suggest having a look at the cost of things like chains and cassettes for the various options.

It's actually a very good point, I picked my Kona up second hand and I'd only really half researched before deciding I wanted one. It was only after getting it home I looked into various things like the cost of the consumables and nearly fainted when I saw the cost of a new cassette! Luckily in practice they are really durable and last thousands of kilometres and as any one who has seen my posts in the members travelogues will know I use this bike year round in all weathers as well as on demanding off-road tours. I do replace the chains more frequently and they are no more expensive than other chains and if you replace them early enough then you don't need to also replace the cassette. In 4 years and 8 thousand kilometres of my ownership it's had four chains and one cassette and that cassette change was fairly recent.

One option is to have a think about how you plan to use the bike. For example, a stronger wheelset and cassette more suited to touring/bikepacking could be switched out for lighter wheels for bombing around. Or a dynohub if commuting. Lots of options to get the best bang for your buck.

One good thing with Alpkit/Sonder is that they will customise your bike build for you and they have a dynohub in their range, admitaly probably not comparable with a SON dynamo, but still the option is still there to make a good personalised bike.

One good thing with Alpkit/Sonder is that they will customise your bike build for you and they have a dynohub in their range, admitaly probably not comparable with a SON dynamo, but still the option is still there to make a good personalised bike.

Based on a relatively recent thread about a Sonder bike I was pretty impressed with their customer service for almost two year old wheels.

I love my Titanium Tempest. I had mine made up with a double chainset as I'm old school.
My pals must have been impressed as they both bought one - both 1x and they love their bikes too.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
If you can find a titanium bike you like (and in stock!) within budget, go for that. You won't regret it.
Were it me, right now…
https://alpkit.com/products/sonder-camino-ti-grx2
That's a frame that ticks all the spec boxes- titanium, big tyre clearances, 1x/2x, all the mounts, and gets great reviews. Alpkit are a pleasure to deal with. And this is a frankly ridiculous bargain in the current market. Kinesis RRP for my Tripster ATR v3- if you can get one in the right frame sizes- is £2400 for the frameset alone (mine cost under £1800 a few months back...those were the days!). The Camino GRX 2x build is £2349. If the Tripster was a few hundred quid more, I'd still go for it- I prefer the looks, frankly- but it isn't (and it wasn't in July..). At that price you can easily afford to get a nicer set of wheels, carbon or Ti seatpost, etc, and still be quids in.

Last edited:

Joffey

Big Dosser
What problems have you had? I've put the best part of 8 thousand kilometres on my SRAM 1x Kona and had zero issues, Double tap does take a little getting used too, especially the upchange, but downchanging is brilliantly fast and precise.

The slightest bit of muck on it and the gears and clunking all over the place. Just my experience though.

OP
OP
Scotchlovingcylist

Scotchlovingcylist

Too much to quote but thanks all for the advice and options.
@Joffey I have a 1 x NX grouspet on my mtb and find it spot on to be fair, appreciate the road/gravel grouspets may have issues.

Currently laid up after being knocked off today 😡, so will have some time to have a look about.

Top Bottom