Gravel bike recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pablito

Hi all,

Firstly let me acknowledge that I'm posting for advice on my first post. I will try and contribute but my knowledge of bikes is basic at best!

My bike was stolen a couple of weeks ago, did the job for me getting to and from work most days (only a 9 mile round trip) but mostly on the towpath. I had a basic Scott ybrid and that was adequate.

However, I am looking to use the Cycle to Work scheme to get something a bit better.

I think gravel bikes seem the best because:

I'd like dipped handlebars
I like the idea of being quicker than my hybrid
My old bike wasn't fun to ride so I didn't use it for leisure much, so something that can reduce the pain of riding I will use more

However, they are expensive. I was hoping to spend the £400-600 mark, but seems that I cannot get any gravel bike in this range (except for the Calibre Lost Lad which was out for £400 on the day that I had mine stolen and now is OOS).

So my questions are:

Do any hybrids come with dipped handle bars?
Could I consider putting some slightly more robust tyres (WTB tyres?) on a roadbike as they seem to be waaay cheaper (although there are 14 sharp ascents/descents o the towpath so the bike will be going down a lot of slopes...)
Also, 2 friends and I have spoken about doing a big ride post Covid (maybe down to France etc). I've never ridden more than 20 miles at once so it's a way away but is that doable

Can anyone recommend a decent gravel/cyclo bike at the £600ish mark?

I have been looking at bigger budgets and considering sucking it up and paying the extra, I really like the look of the Ribble bikes so am tempted to do that... However the Boardman 8.8 in Halfords for £750 seems the best value I've seen so far (although I'm not a fan of the look of the Boardman).

Thanks guys

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Welcome!

Yeah I'm not a fan of the look of Boardman bikes either, I think if you're investing a fair amount it is important for you to like how the bike looks, you'll ride it more.

Also, 2 friends and I have spoken about doing a big ride post Covid (maybe down to France etc). I've never ridden more than 20 miles at once so it's a way away but is that doable

Very, very doable, people go from 5 mile maximum rides to 70 mile per day rides, my wife did it with 4 months gentle training and she was very overweight and not young. Most people who can ride a bike can do something like 70 miles a day fairly soon, with some training and preparation.

Do any hybrids come with dipped handle bars?
Not really, hybrids are largely defined by having flat bars.
Could I consider putting some slightly more robust tyres (WTB tyres?) on a roadbike
Only up to a point, the frame clearances are much tighter on a road bike so you can get somewhat wider tyres than those fitted probably, but there's a limit, and knobblies tend not to fit road frames.

Two things are against you here:
1: "Gravel / Cyclocross" bikes are the current fashion and prices reflect that.
2: The pandemic has made almost everyone buy a bike in the last 2 months and there are few places with any stock. It's a case of if you have to buy now, your choice is very limited and it might be that way for some months as the factories also closed down / slowed down.

I'd have a think about tourers to give you more options, most come with drop bars, better frame clearances, wider slightly knobbly tyres, and can handle light off road such as gravel paths, farm tracks, bridleways etc. They're also ideal for commutes and for your future trip to France as they'll take some luggage, oh and they're fairly fast on roads of course.

I'd also consider credit as that will spread the cost for you over a year, say, then a slightly out of budget bike might come into range.

vickster

Legendary Member
Welcome!

Yeah I'm not a fan of the look of Boardman bikes either, I think if you're investing a fair amount it is important for you to like how the bike looks, you'll ride it more.

Very, very doable, people go from 5 mile maximum rides to 70 mile per day rides, my wife did it with 4 months gentle training and she was very overweight and not young. Most people who can ride a bike can do something like 70 miles a day fairly soon, with some training and preparation.

Not really, hybrids are largely defined by having flat bars.

Only up to a point, the frame clearances are much tighter on a road bike so you can get somewhat wider tyres than those fitted probably, but there's a limit, and knobblies tend not to fit road frames.

Two things are against you here:
1: "Gravel / Cyclocross" bikes are the current fashion and prices reflect that.
2: The pandemic has made almost everyone buy a bike in the last 2 months and there are few places with any stock. It's a case of if you have to buy now, your choice is very limited and it might be that way for some months as the factories also closed down / slowed down.

I'd have a think about tourers to give you more options, most come with drop bars, better frame clearances, wider slightly knobbly tyres, and can handle light off road such as gravel paths, farm tracks, bridleways etc. They're also ideal for commutes and for your future trip to France as they'll take some luggage, oh and they're fairly fast on roads of course.

I'd also consider credit as that will spread the cost for you over a year, say, then a slightly out of budget bike might come into range.
C2W will do the same, with the tax saving
@Pablito ask your HR department for the details of your c2w scheme, monthly payments, any end of scheme costs etc

if you do go c2w or credit, make sure that the bike is fully insured For replacement value against theft. The last thing you want is to have to pay off a bike you no longer possess :sad: Add the cost of an insurance approved D lock to your C2W voucher value

MrGrumpy

Huge Member

Yep this is quite decent but you would need to up the C2W budget. Or as said earlier buy second hand. Nowt much wrong with Boardman bikes, probably because they they are sold through Halfords they get bad press. They always seemed cracking value to me, its all about what can be fitted into the sweet spot C2W price of £1k . Yes I`m aware that might be upped but not everyone allows it.

Should add don`t rule out a CX bike , its what I use more or less all the time now. My super duper light weight 7kg road bike hardly goes out now !

Don’t let the whole “Boardman bikes are just Halfords bikes, they’ll put the forks on back to front” or whatever, put anyone off. One of my favourite bikes is a Boardman MX comp which I bought, from Halfords, back in 2014-2015. It’s a solid bike, which was really well specced for the price ( 350 quid with all the discounts I got ). I’ve still got it, and in fact have just upgraded the wheels and brakes.

vickster

Legendary Member
A few cheaper gravel (sub 1k) options

https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-malt-g1-tiagra-gravel-bike-2020-147541.html

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Marin-Gestalt-1-2020-Gravel-Bike_129667.htm
(Contact to see it in stock, Tredz have form for having non stock on their site, they’re also part of Halfords)

Pinnacle from Evans
https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-arkose-d1-2020-gravel-bike-EV339946

Kona but only 52cm
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/kona-rove-adventure-road-bike-2020/ (May not take C2W?)

do you know which C2W scheme you have?

OP
OP
P

Pablito

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses. Lots of reading and what to consider there. I am on the 'Cycle Scheme', https://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/

I do need to check with HR about end of term payments though, seeing contrasting things online and there's not much on our Intranet about it.

Love the look of the Merlin Malt G1 but they're all to be considered!

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi all,

Thanks for the responses. Lots of reading and what to consider there. I am on the 'Cycle Scheme', https://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/

I do need to check with HR about end of term payments though, seeing contrasting things online and there's not much on our Intranet about it.

Love the look of the Merlin Malt G1 but they're all to be considered!
Merlin handily take Cyclescheme (they do charge a 10% surcharge for C2W though)

https://www.merlincycles.com/cycle-to-work-scheme.html

BigMeatball

However the Boardman 8.8 in Halfords for £750 seems the best value I've seen so far (although I'm not a fan of the look of the Boardman).

I have a Boardman adv 8.8 and I'm pretty happy with it. Having said that, it's my first bike in more than a decade so I don't really have anything to compare it with.

I bought it in a period where it was discounted and was "only" £640 which made it a real bargain. Now that its price is £750, it might be worth spending a bit more and get the adv 8.9, assuming you can tolerate the hideous orange colour.

OP
OP
P

Pablito

So the Boardman comes out cheapest and I wouldn't have to assemble it. I'm not a massive fan of the aesthetic but that seems the best deal at the minute.

Either that or wait to see if the Lost Lad comes back in stock. WIll deliberate on it for a while.

DRM

Guru
I've got the Marin Gestalt 2 with shimano tiagra 10 speed & can confirm it's a real all rounder, it picks speed well, it's comfy and does cope well with gravel tracks & canal towpaths, it's got plenty of mounts for luggage & mudguards too, with a pretty good spread of gears.

Top Bottom