Gravel bikes users what None SPD pedals are you using

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
When I bought my bike second hand the previous owner had fitted DMR V12 pedals. After using them for a number of months I was a convert, brilliant pedals.

I've since ridden thousands of kilometres, mostly off-road and several multi day tours on them. Originally I rode using some old SPD shoes with the cleats removed, but I've since changed to some Five Ten shoes and the combination is brilliant.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Was just about to suggest the DMR V12. I have them on my mountain bike. Pair of grippy soled shoes and they are nearly as good as being clipped in without the risks.

OP
OP
LWeleven

LWeleven

When I bought my bike second hand the previous owner had fitted DMR V12 pedals. After using them for a number of months I was a convert, brilliant pedals.

I've since ridden thousands of kilometres, mostly off-road and several multi day tours on them. Originally I rode using some old SPD shoes with the cleats removed, but I've since changed to some Five Ten shoes and the combination is brilliant.
Yes I’ve used these before , I have never really had a problem with any pedal , my current bike has basic ones on with toe clips , the downside is if for any reason your riding the flip side granted I’ve never done that they are very close to the floor

Attachments

• 3F6955F9-B9D8-4064-B255-B9A2AC7B3430.jpeg
    3F6955F9-B9D8-4064-B255-B9A2AC7B3430.jpeg
    20.2 KB · Views: 6
I've used Time Atacs on my MTB/Winter/Gravel bikes for decades now.

Only changed my first set of cleats last year.

Never clogged in mud, never maintained them and I can walk in the shoes. Actually I've not bothered with my speedplay pedals for over a year now.

Don't the pins in those DMR V12's damage shoes?

I don't have a gravel bike though one of my self builds based on an old frame might not be a million miles from one.

But am a convert to nonSPD for any serious touring/trips that might involve any (mild for me) off road.

I use these:

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.MKS-Sylvan-Touring_18210.htm

Good grip unless it's really chucking it down - nice old-fashioned easy to self-service design.

Now and again I have to dismount and push a bit for some reason or to manhandle the bike - a real joy to remember that I'm not sitting on top of cleats. Have done some very long rides with flats - not noticed any real drop-off in efficiency.

On my rough stuff touring bike I use MKS Sylvian Touring which has a wider, flatter cage than road style ones. Have used them with trainers, mtb shoes , trail shoes hiking boots.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Don't the pins in those DMR V12's damage shoes?

Surprisingly not that much In my experience. The old SPD shoes I used at first did get a little chewed up, but then they were old. The outdoor walking shoes I used for a short while showed no damage at all. The Five Ten's I currently wear have been supposedly designed for flat pedals, but oddly the sole of one shoe is slightly damaged and the other untouched.

As @fossyant mentions above though, they don't half damage your leg if you get in there way!

Top Bottom