Gravel bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Waseem1985

Regular
Was almost decided on purchasing a hybrid bike (Boardman HYB 8.8) however have since come across gravel/adventure bikes (Boardman ADV 9.0). More expensive but seems to be better spec'd and a more all rounded bike which will be better on and off road. I think this would be an ideal first bike. My only concern are the drop bars. I understand I need to ride the bikes and see which one I like but how long would it take me to get used to drop bars and do they eventually offer the same control especially if riding slow / on pavements?

https://99spokes.com/en-GB/compare?bikes=boardman-adv-9.0-2021,boardman-hyb-8.8-2021

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

nickb

Guru
Was almost decided on purchasing a hybrid bike (Boardman HYB 8.8) however have since come across gravel/adventure bikes (Boardman ADV 9.0). More expensive but seems to be better spec'd and a more all rounded bike which will be better on and off road. I think this would be an ideal first bike. My only concern are the drop bars. I understand I need to ride the bikes and see which one I like but how long would it take me to get used to drop bars and do they eventually offer the same control especially if riding slow / on pavements?

Thank you in advance.

Drops offer a much greater variety of riding positions than flat bars. You don't have to hold them in the drop position and I rarely do.

vickster

Legendary Member
Why will you be riding on pavements? In the U.K. it’s illegal for adults to do so.

I prefer drop bars, but I have extra brakes on the handlebars, having smaller hands and riding often in traffic, I find it difficult to brake adequately and quickly on the brifters. And with lots of braking my hands start to ache!
It also gives me a more upright position and so better visibility in traffic. This is not an option with hydraulic disc brake brifters.
Many have no issues however.
As you say, go and have a good test ride (Halfords don’t offer these though)

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Waseem1985

Regular
Drops offer a much greater variety of riding positions than flat bars. You don't have to hold them in the drop position and I rarely do.

By drops I mean all the positions the bar offers including tops etc.

Thank you for your comment.

nickb

Guru
I think I was trying to get across the bike control that would be needed.

Thank you for your comment.

The 'bike control' stems from many more factors than the handlebars. The geometry of the frame is way more critical than the bars IMHO.

Get thee to a proper bike shop, tell them what you're wanting a bike to do and try some different ones out.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Gravel bikes tend to have flared dropped handlebars, which offer a good mix of control and speed. Mine has a 12° flare which isn't a lot but I find it really improves access to the brake levers when on the drops compared to the perpendicular drops on my road bike. The variety of positions is also good for mixed terrain riding and there is no issue with slow speed manoeuvring (for me at least).

If you've never ridden drops before the main concern you might have is using the brakes and gears, but it soon becomes second nature. As above, I tend to ride 90% on the hoods, switching to the straight bit for some climbs or for a rest and to the drops on descents or into a headwind.

To try and directly answer your question, control not a problem in the longer term. For a first bike getting to the brakes on drop handle bars make take a little longer to get use to too you'll need to put a little bit of practice in. Longer term like folk had said drops give you more hand positions. Ps I'm on this thread as Just got a 2nd hand Boardman ADV 8.7 and I'm very happy with it. See my posts on the York cycling festival

Top Bottom