Gravel / CX Bike differences and recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fortunatemango

Hi all,

What exactly are the difference between CX and gravel bikes? Is it literally just that gravel bikes have clearance for mud guards and panniers or is there more to it?

Also, I’m looking for an entry level CX at the moment and have a short list of Carrera Tanneri/Crixus CX or a well used Specialized Tri Cross. My budget i max £200 and pre covid I’ve found a fair few Carreras that went for <£200 and even a couple of Tri Cross’s, albeit scarcely so. Are there any other CX bikes in my budget in the used market that I should also be looking at?

Any recommendations will be highly appreciated!

vickster

Legendary Member
I had mudguards and a pannier rack on my Boardman CX team so no that’s not a certain difference!

I think height of BB might be higher on a racing CX but most of it’s just marketing BS

Are you looking for a CX to race on? Or just a drop bar bike that takes fatter tyres?

mine was one of these, sold it for £400 during lockdown. think you’ll be lucky to find anything half decent for £200 these days
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boardman...351564?hash=item3fe674c38c:g:jQAAAOSwvLpfKYsB

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fortunatemango

I had mudguards and a pannier rack on my Boardman CX team so no that’s not a certain difference!

I think height of BB might be higher on a racing CX but most of it’s just marketing BS

Are you looking for a CX to race on? Or just a drop bar bike that takes fatter tyres?

mine was one of these, sold it for £400 during lockdown. think you’ll be lucky to find anything half decent for £200 these days
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boardman...351564?hash=item3fe674c38c:g:jQAAAOSwvLpfKYsB

I think the marketing BS is prob the shout tbh!

After a drop bar bike that has clearance for fatter tyres. Also something with v-brakes as they seem a lot easier to maintain on a DIY basis, feel free to correct me if I’m wrong in this assumption though.

seen a fair few of the older Boardman CX’s being sold over the last 6-8 weeks and most were around the price you sold yours for so currently over budget for me.

OP
OP
F

fortunatemango

didn’t think about a tourer! will defo look in to more of them - after a glance on eBay it’s quite promising though 👍

the idea of a project is very appealing too, I’d prob learn to get hands on and a lot about the mechanics of the bike (depending on how much I chose to DIY at least). what are your ballpark guesses for how much that Ridley will go for and total cost after everything rectified? Cheltenham is a bit far out so would have to factor in circa £30/40 for postage too.

vickster

Legendary Member
didn’t think about a tourer! will defo look in to more of them - after a glance on eBay it’s quite promising though 👍

the idea of a project is very appealing too, I’d prob learn to get hands on and a lot about the mechanics of the bike (depending on how much I chose to DIY at least). what are your ballpark guesses for how much that Ridley will go for and total cost after everything rectified? Cheltenham is a bit far out so would have to factor in circa £30/40 for postage too.
No idea what it might sell for, you can only look at past sales. is the seller willing to post?
you'll need to check sizing but Ridleys do come up on the large size

OP
OP
F

fortunatemango

Cheers for forwarding on Vickster! The last photo shows the size - 51CM, which I’m pretty sure in the Crixus range equates to a size medium (available sizes are 48cm, 51cm and 54cm).

Unfortunately a bit too far out for me in London. Anything in Yorkshire is grand as well as potentially Oxfordshire/Northamptonshire as I visit quite frequently.

DRM

Guru
Strictly, CX bikes are aimed at cyclocross competition, so are lighter and have a more racy geometry whereas gravel bikes are for out-and-about so are a bit more relaxed. In truth though the terms are used indiscriminately.
The other difference would be a CX bike will have a higher bottom bracket, and usually no bosses on the frame for bottle cages, as CX races are usually 1 hour long, so no need for bidons, one thing to watch for, gravel bikes will be a more relaxed geometry, with bosses all over the place for bike packing/touring/gadding about :okay:

OP
OP
F

fortunatemango

Yorkshire cycle sales on Facebook is a very active group.

I have run three CX bikes as road/gravel bikes, 2 with mudguard and rack mounts 1 with no mounts, I find them ideal with the bigger tyre clearance.

second time that group has been mentioned now, will def make inquiries there.

And yes, that’s the biggest appeal to me - the versatility of potentially have 2 bikes in ones

Top Bottom