Grease a square taper spindle, yay or nay?

Yay?

• Yay

Votes: 30 88.2%
  • Nay

Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I use grease but really that would be an ecumenical matter.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Cranks sliding on to the tapered spindle will not then move and lubrication will not make a difference. So the only reason is to minimise any spindle corrosion - which in my experience is either non-existent even after years outside, or not an issue: the crank extractor will do its job if ever needed.
But as @Blue Hills says: what harm can it do.

grldtnr

Definitely not! It is a interference fit,a hard surface/ soft face , as best has qouted up thread, a good clean, a very light smear of grease then wiped off.
Always I have lightly nipped up, backed of the nut/ bolt, a light tap with a block of wood & mallet on the crank ,then tighted up , being a taper fit gives it the grip, but it can be too tight.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Definitely not! It is a interference fit,a hard surface/ soft face , as best has qouted up thread, a good clean, a very light smear of grease then wiped off.
Always I have lightly nipped up, backed of the nut/ bolt, a light tap with a block of wood & mallet on the crank ,then tighted up , being a taper fit gives it the grip, but it can be too tight.
I had read in one place that "as much grease as you would find on a mechanic's hand" was the right amount. :smile:

What would be the symptoms of an overtightened crank bolt? I'm assuming that if you keep tightening it won't actually move the crank any further up the taper?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
What would be the symptoms of an overtightened crank bolt? I'm assuming that if you keep tightening it won't actually move the crank any further up the taper?
I don't know what caused this problem of mine - overtightening, undertightening...? :whistle:

Top Bottom