Grease a square taper spindle, yay or nay?

Yay?

• Yay

Votes: 30 88.2%
  • Nay

Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
All I know it that lubrication affects or reduces torque, so you could under tighten. That's
if you use a torque wrench or your guesstimator might be under tightening.

"Dry bolt torque is approximately 30% higher - or 628 lbf ft. If the bolt is lubricated with SAE 30 oil - the torque compared to a dry bolt is reduced with approximately 40%."

Ajax Bay

Guru
I advocate greasing the crank bolt @GuyBoden , though the toque needed is 'well tight' on my meter.
This (ungreased) thread is about whether to grease the tapered end of the spindle.

Reactions: C R

figbat

Slippery scientist
All I know it that lubrication affects or reduces torque, so you could under tighten. That's
if you use a torque wrench or your guesstimator might be under tightening.

"Dry bolt torque is approximately 30% higher - or 628 lbf ft. If the bolt is lubricated with SAE 30 oil - the torque compared to a dry bolt is reduced with approximately 40%."
I think the opposite is true. If you lubricate a nut/bolt and then apply a set tightening torque to it, the bolt will be under more tension than an unlubricated one. During a training session many many years ago from a ship engine builder they hammered home the requirement to know if a torque value for doing up a nut is dry or lubricated. If you have a dry torque value but use it to do up a lubricated nut, you run the risk of snapping the bolt or stud.

On a related musing, the cylinder head nuts on large ship engines are done up hand tight. ;)

GuyBoden

Guru
I think the opposite is true. If you lubricate a nut/bolt and then apply a set tightening torque to it, the bolt will be under more tension than an unlubricated one. During a training session many many years ago from a ship engine builder they hammered home the requirement to know if a torque value for doing up a nut is dry or lubricated. If you have a dry torque value but use it to do up a lubricated nut, you run the risk of snapping the bolt or stud.

On a related musing, the cylinder head nuts on large ship engines are done up hand tight. ;)
Yes, that's correct, the torque needs to be less when lubricated, then you have to guesstimate a torque setting and probably under tighten.

Or use the following easy formula.:laugh:

Example - Reduction of Torque when Bolt is Lubricated​

The maximum tightening torque for a slightly lubricated 1" Grade 5 coarse bolt is 483 lbf ft. Dry bolt torque is approximately 30% higher - or 628 lbf ft.

Tdry = (483 lbf ft) (1 + (30%) / (100%)) = 628 lbf ft

If the bolt is lubricated with SAE 30 oil - the torque compared to a dry bolt is reduced with approximately 40%.

TSAE30 = (628 lbf ft) (1 - (40%) / (100%)) = 377 lbf ft

Note that if torque specified for a dry or slightly oiled bolt torque is applied to a lubricated bolt - the bolt may overload and break.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/torque-lubrication-effects-d_1693.html

midlife

Guru
The bolts/ screws I attach things to dental implants are lubricated, stops the bolt from juddering when getting up to torque.

Top Bottom