Grease and skin - any problem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Blue Hills
ditto - top tip compo.

Fab foodie's vaseline idea sounds worth exploring.

I'll keep thinking about mrraauk's "for hands that do dishes" tip.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
Wasn't through being a cheapskate that I was concerned about tearing the gloves - more the bother of it. Yes the petroleum* aspect concerned me and motivated the question, though I get the feeling from the replies that it's no great concern for occasional once a week or every 2 weeks or so.

*I'm no scientist (far from it) but I also wondered about "lithium".

As for Ianrauk's scouring pad - hell you're tough.

There's lithium in bike oil?! *downs the bottle*
^_^

I can't wear gloves, as I'm allergic to latex. I do have eczema anyway, but I use this amazing stuff called Epiderm on my hands which stops them cracking and bleeding.

I do have asbestos hands though - they were covered in white spirit this morning and are fine (although I wonder what all those white rabbits were doing in my bathroom).

stewie griffin

Über Member
I do give my hands a once-over in cheap moisturiser before starting though as it makes cleaning them later easier.

Unfortunately applying moisturiser before oil or grease might have the opposite affect to a real "barrier" cream, acting as a "carrier" instead, actually helping your skin absorb the baddies.

I've been getting my hands filthy dirty with oil & grease for over 25 years as part of my work & hobbies, I try & use barrier cream (when I remember :whistle:) & gloves sometimes but I agree they aren't always suitable for fine work.

As yet my hands haven't dropped off ^_^ just wash ASAP afterwards.

stewie griffin

Über Member
Be more careful with using copper slip though. That can be nasty, so ensure you apply with a tool, not hands.

Because I've been applying the stuff for years with my finger (slapped wrist) I thought I'd better look that up, read the first couple of safety PDFs Google threw up & it's no worse than anything else, very mild risk in fact.

Night Train

Maker of Things
There are alternatives to latex gloves, for people who allergic to err... latex
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Medium-Nitrile-Gloves-Powder-AQL1-5/dp/B001TA5RNA
Should be using the blue nitrile gloves anyway if working with oils and grease. The latex gloves are not really up to the job.

When I served my apprentice as a mechanic there were no gloves in the trade and mechanics used Swarfega, occasionally with sugar for the abrasive. The Tuffenega, Swarfega with balls, came out and things got better (Swarfega now comes with balls and in much more skin safe and solvent free) but we still had black oily marks on out fingers and nails.
I did try using latex gloves but they would rip and then fall apart on contact with oil or grease.

If you visit any garage or Kwikfit now the mechanics all wear the blue nitrile gloves because they seem to work an stay intact for most of the day.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
My father had 48 years as a garage mechanic with no problems apart from white finger caused by the windy gun. I use E45 lotion to remove oil and grease from my hands and wipe it off with kitchen paper. No scrubbing, it just wipes off.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Should be using the blue nitrile gloves anyway if working with oils and grease. The latex gloves are not really up to the job.

When I served my apprentice as a mechanic there were no gloves in the trade and mechanics used Swarfega, occasionally with sugar for the abrasive. The Tuffenega, Swarfega with balls, came out and things got better (Swarfega now comes with balls and in much more skin safe and solvent free) but we still had black oily marks on out fingers and nails.
I did try using latex gloves but they would rip and then fall apart on contact with oil or grease.

If you visit any garage or Kwikfit now the mechanics all wear the blue nitrile gloves because they seem to work an stay intact for most of the day.

I used to work with a guy who didnt change his all day, he would go for a piss whilst wearing them, then he would wash his hands (it is assumed) while wearing them and go eat his lunch without taking them off, then back to "work" (he didnt really do any).

Myself though, I used to change mine at least hourly, they get pretty gross and uncomfortable after a short time and/or develop small rip's (obviously depending on what you are going) from getting snagged etc and oil and grease would get in.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Changing the gloves due to sweat and rips and nicks is a given, but they tend not to give up so quickly, with say tyre changing and brakes, from contamination I have found.
Being a cheapskate and tight sod I can make a pair last ages, airing them between uses.^_^

On the subject of going to the toilet with them, I used to teach construction H&S at college and it was surprising how few lads washed their hands after going for a piss. I asked them to Google dermatitis and cement burns on damp skin and then asked them if they would now be washing their hands both before and after going. Hand washing improved drastically after that.:thumbsup:

Top Bottom