Grease is the word

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My recent fettle today post about tubeless sealant topping up failed to mention the problems I had removing the front wheel.

It has a Suntour QLoc2 through axle, and try as I might I couldn't get the thing to release.

The lever worked OK and the ludicrously intricate spring loaded collets on the other end seemed to be springing as they were supposed to.

Time for a trip to the local bike shop who tell me the axle is almost certainly rusted in place - they've had three or four in the past.

The bike shop has part of an old axle they use as a drift.

Mine required some sharp hits with a hammer before it came out, but at least it did so in one piece and can be reused.

A couple the bike shop did didn't survive the process.

To prevent it seizing again, I was told to use plenty of grease and to remove it periodically - rather like a seat post.

As an observation the QLoc2 is not the best design, being fiddly and over-complicated.

But I'm stuck with it, short of a fork change (no threads in the legs).

Does anyone have any thoughts on the best grease to use?

My view is, for a push bike, grease is grease,

I'm using some general purpose stuff the bike shop uses in the workshop and which they sell.

Is it worth getting a special purpose grease for this job, and if so, what type?

General thoughts on bikes and greasing also welcome.

IMG_0056.JPG

And here's a (bone dry) QLoc slipping seamlessly in and out.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8IqJD34Ky0

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Progress is a wonderful thing.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've just reassembled it and much of the grease has been wiped off the axle and deposited on the end.

It's that snug it reminds me of fitting pistons in petrol engines years ago.

I wonder if light oil might be better, or at least less inclined to be removed by the action of inserting the axle.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I use GT85 on my Rockshox - which bit stuck, the shaft or the expander. Looks a bit of a pain of a design. Rockshox aren't much better as Maxels are made out of soft cheese.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
which bit stuck, the shaft or the expander. .

The shaft - there was a tiny bit of corrosion about halfway along it.

No more than a water stain - it wiped off - but the ruddy thing was well stuck.

There's no weather seal, but I was still surprised water had got all the way along the shaft.

I occasionally use the bike in the rain, but only on good surfaces.

A poor design for what is supposed to be a mountain bike component.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm not overly convinced with Maxels that screw into the fork drop out - only takes a ham fisted oaf to thread the forks = expensive. Rear through axels tend to bolt into a nut

Tend to keep mine clean as possible and use GT85 as grease can/could attract more dirt (but won't if you keep checking it).

Slick

Guru
I just use the standard grease which is more than capable of doing the job. Yours may well be more of a snug fit than mine, but if I use too much it is all dragged to the end, but that means I've just used too much. A little often is my technique.

roley poley

Über Member
don't mix white grease (lithium) with brown grease or oil they do not like each other that means you don't oil a bearing packed with white .not sure of the chemistry of this but when I did it they combined into a clag of ..well you try mixing them in a bottle top with a match and you can see for yourself

Gunk

Guru
I just use the standard grease which is more than capable of doing the job. Yours may well be more of a snug fit than mine, but if I use too much it is all dragged to the end, but that means I've just used too much. A little often is my technique.

Me too, I’ve got a big tin of Castrol grease in the garage that I’ve had for about 35 years, I use it on everything.

Top Bottom