Grease - Teflon or Lithium ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chess

Hi all.
Wanting to know from you knowledgeable friends on here which is best to use and where you get it from please ?
It's for the hub bearings and bottom bracket on my Boardman CX which I use for my daily commute, so all weathers really.
Checked my rear hub yesterday after I noticed a scraping noise by popping the seal on the non drive side and was shocked to find very little to no grease in there - it was almost completely dry.
The sad thing is, the bike is only 4 months old from new, I really expected a better build quality / control from a decent manufacturer.
Now I'm worried about any excessive wear this may have caused and I'm going to have to check the whole bike sometime soon.
Anyway, recommendations on the grease and a link greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Dale.

keithmac

Guru
We use this on the motorcycle headbearings etc, one tube should last you a lifetime!.

Very good qualiy grease.

71afuBr0VmL._SY679_.jpg

rrarider

Veteran
I would use a lithium based grease, the thicker the better. Many years ago Phil Wood waterproof grease was highly recommended, it's still available but appears to be prohibitively expensive through Amazon. I've still got some Nimrod superfine waterproof grease left, which is very good and thick. Nimrod grease of a different type is available from Condor Cycles, so I guess it could be quite good too. When my Nimrod grease runs out I'll just use one of the old Castrol or Duckhams lithium greases which I bought a long time ago when I did my own car servicing. I wouldn't use a spray-on grease as I don't think it would be thick enough.

Last edited:
Top Bottom