Grease

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stantheman

With the recent heavy rain we have had in South Wales I have had to repack my rear axle 3 times this last week. The grease seems to get washed out very easily. The rubber seals seem ok so is the grease I am using not up to the job? I have been using normal castrol grease, big tub cost very little but the time and hassle costs more.

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger

fatboy123cycling

Waterproof grease is best - it mixes with water ( emulsifies) and will still lubricate. Ordinary grease Castrol - will repel moisture and sets up oxygen bubbles that will cause corrosion and lack of lubrication and will wash out.

OP
OP
Stantheman

Stantheman

The bearings (mainly on the cassette side) are dry and what little grease that is left is a watery mess. I used weldtite grease with Teflon today so will see if it makes any difference.

screenman

Legendary Member
I am having problems finding this waterproof grease, please can somebody give me a link.

In 45 years of cycling I have never had a problem with grease disappearing so quickly that the hubs need repacking 3 times in a week. Even years of cross with river crossing years ago did not need repacking that often.

screenman

Legendary Member
The bearings (mainly on the cassette side) are dry and what little grease that is left is a watery mess. I used weldtite grease with Teflon today so will see if it makes any difference.

Surely for grease to be a watery mess it must be emulsifying.

OP
OP
Stantheman

Stantheman

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I am having problems finding this waterproof grease, please can somebody give me a link.

In 45 years of cycling I have never had a problem with grease disappearing so quickly that the hubs need repacking 3 times in a week. Even years of cross with river crossing years ago did not need repacking that often.
I have to agree. I use marine bearing grease, a ship chandlery or boat and trailer supply would have it. It is greenish blue in color. My neighbors have boats on trailers, as we live 40 miles from most appreciable bodies of water. They use this in the trailer hubs so it doesn't wash out when they put the trailer in the water to float the boat onto it. I grew up on the water, so I've used it for a long while. I use Lubrimatic brand.
http://www.starmarinedepot.com/lubr...NpiwtSOSLVf3YRhcxtzdTJtZ-m1lXuaaO9BoCMOvw_wcB

Top Bottom