Greasy roads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
DWiggy

DWiggy

Über Member
One thing I do notice on damp roads is the amount of oil that's been spilt/dropped, you never really notice it when your in the car maybe this has more to do with the slipperiness than the salt? the water/damp seems to re-activate the oil somehow?

Radchenister

Veteran
Cold and damp, especially just around freezing, is an issue in it's own right and in addition, you've seen what oil does in water I'm sure!? Plus other road gunk and you've got a cocktail of substances, if it is dry enough for the water to evaporate and the gunk to get soaked up, or a good downpour washes it away, then great; although if it's all hanging around in an inky slop ... then yuk and eek. Technical terms those by the way!

G3CWI

Veteran
Cold and damp, especially just around freezing, is an issue in it's own right and in addition, you've seen what oil does in water I'm sure!? Plus other road gunk and you've got a cocktail of substances, if it is dry enough for the water to evaporate and the gunk to get soaked up, or a good downpour washes it away, then great; although if it's all hanging around in an inky slop ... then yuk and eek. Technical terms those by the way!

Sady yuk and eek led to arrggh and ouch in my case. The later two are medical terms by the way!

Radchenister

Veteran
Just read your post on the other thread - hope you're recovering and not too much damage done. :smile:

I am sat here in my home office with some work to do but already kitted out for a mid day ride (despite not really being in the mood due to the grey and damp); warnings heeded ... I will be taking care on both gritted and non-gritted roads alike ... 'there but for the grace of ...' etc.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Salt attracts and holds moisture then gets mixed up with rubber, oil and dirt to form that greasy film.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The black sloppy mess on roads is a mixture of atmospheric dirt, carbon from diesel exhausts, dripped oil, rubber from tyres and scrubbed-out road surface. The addition of salt just keeps it wetter for longer.

Radchenister

Veteran
Just in from my ride: funny but I paid particular attention to road gloop for some reason ... unsalted country back lanes wet, wide open main A road dry - observation is a wonderful scientific tool ;) .

Top Bottom