Great Commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Really good journey in today.

The missus works a couple of days a week and today is one them. She sets of before me whilst I take our youngest to nursery.

She makes pretty much the same journey only I set off 20 minutes later, its about 6 miles, a dry crisp morning, a bit windy but otherwise fine.

As soon as I get off the cyclepath there is standing traffic thats about 5 miles from the town centre (yes, this is little old Ipswich). So my Journey in is entirely passing stationary traffic, which does make you feel quite smug.

I even stopped half way to chat to mrs starseven who was on her fourth lambert and butler, moyles on the radio,stuck in the traffic and begining to look stressed.

Even with a couple more pauses to chat with drivers the journey took less than 20 minutes, as it always does.

In a car it would be hour or more or less or who knows.

I cant afford to waste that much time, really if you have absolutely got to get somewhere on time, you better get a bike.

Arch

Married to Night Train
starseven said:
I even stopped half way to chat to mrs starseven who was on her fourth lambert and butler, moyles on the radio,stuck in the traffic and begining to look stressed.

Hee hee. Imagine the expression on the following drivers face if you prearranged it so as to warn her, rode up the outside of the queue until you saw the missus, pulled up alongside, tapped on the window with a 'wind it down' gesture, leaned in and without a word of preamble, gave her a snog, then back in the saddle and off you go...

Nice positive post anyway. Cheers!

I'm sure someone will ask... Why doesn't Mrs Starseven ride?

OP
OP
S

starseven

Thanks Arch,

That is pretty much how it was, not only did all those cars have to watch me pass them in the opposite lane I also get to lean on a car (the window was open) have a nice chat with a lovely young lady, give her a kiss and go on my way again passing more cars.

I think she like a lot of drivers like sitting in the car for an hour or so each more its like a routine now.

My wife only learnt to ride a bike a couple of years ago but she would only use it for leisure, we are fortunate to have ample cycle only paths nearby and occasionally go to thetford, she would not be confident on the road.
She is not really a cycling/ outdoors type, thats OK though, maybe opposites attract, well it has done for the last 15 years !!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Sounds like a great commute to me :biggrin:

It's weird how somed ays everything just clicks - every time you need spaces it's there, the weather is perfect, you're always in the right gear...

Other days you feel knackered before you've even set out, get chased by a dog, and skid to a crash on leaves. Possibly.

Tynan

Veteran
perhaps my worse ever coming back tonight, started well, the heavy rain was over, wet roads and clear but traffic was very heavy from the off (Kilburn High Road) and shitty with it all the way home

ped stepped out in front of me without looking at Camden and called me an idiot for ringing the bell at him, all sorts of cars trucks and buses chopping and changing, locked the back several times on a road that might as wel have been wet soap

eased off and took it easy, nerves more or less shot, nearly t boned on Ferry Lane by a huge Landrover (what else) whipping a right hand turn through a gap in the crawling traffic, he made something fairly close to an emergency stop a few feet short and stared at me like I was doing something wrong by cycling in the very clear new cycle lane at 15mph (up hill)

and to finish, one last car starting to pull out in front of me coming down the last long hill, knowing that hitting the brakes would be instant skid

and then solid tailback for the last mile on the narrow twisty road into Highams Park

really really not fun at all at all

and when I jumped in the car to pick the kids, the girl next door had blocked me in

horrid

lets hope things feel better tomorrow

bonj2

starseven said:
Really good journey in today.

The missus works a couple of days a week and today is one them. She sets of before me whilst I take our youngest to nursery.

She makes pretty much the same journey only I set off 20 minutes later, its about 6 miles, a dry crisp morning, a bit windy but otherwise fine.

As soon as I get off the cyclepath there is standing traffic thats about 5 miles from the town centre (yes, this is little old Ipswich). So my Journey in is entirely passing stationary traffic, which does make you feel quite smug.

Even with a couple more pauses to chat with drivers the journey took less than 20 minutes, as it always does.

In a car it would be hour or more or less or who knows.
sounds like the perfect commute.

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
sounds like the perfect commute.

Not quite. A perfect commute would also involve Jacomus's storry about the chavmobile getting wrecked on the speedbump. It would be the icing on the cake...:biggrin:

medals

Blimey Tynan,
I got stressed out just reading that!

I had a good commute today, wind behind me, I had all the lights with me and no prats. It's always better in the morning.

Tynan

Veteran
yes it was, lovely weather at present although quite cold, touch of ice face early on and ice toes towards the end

medium head wind today although I find myself riding quite a lot lower on the old junker than I did on the lovely new and now deceased Canondale

here's to a nice ride home, think I'll nick the newish tyre off the wrecked Canondale for the current back, it's an old tyre and no tyre should skate like that one was last night

Top Bottom