Great Glen Way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joemaxi

Anyone cycled this?

Some of the guys from work are intending to cycle this in a day in September and I was wondering if anybody on here has done it. I've been told IRS not too hilly but if it's anything like the west highland was then it's bloody hilly!!

I haven't made up my mind if I'm up for it yet-I'll wait and see what you guys think!:sad:

rockaperoon

ive cycled this but the walking route easy at first but gets harder
you could do it over3 days my advice stay nite 1 at loch ness yh then tarp or lightweight tent for 2nd night also on the walking route better to use a light hardtail with front suspension

just jim

It's fine on a touring bike/ mtb. Camp at Ft.William, Ft. Augustus or Inverness, or find somewhere on the trail. Whatever you camp in, make sure it's midge proof, unless you're impervious to clouds of tiny vicious whining fiends.

OP
OP
joemaxi

joemaxi

Thanks for the replies!

I think the idea is to leave fort William early on the morning and cycle all the way to Inverness and then book into a travel inn for the night before getting the train to fort william to collect the cars, the next day!

I think I'll have to improve my fitness a bit before I tackle this but I've got until September!

Hopefully, the midges will be in bed asleep for the winter by then!!

just jim

;) Ah ok September, sorry! There's a bit of a climb out of Invermorriston so keep something in your legs for that. It's a nice route.

battered

Guru
A friend and I did it last month, or a variant of it as suggested by a bike shop. We started in Inverness and went to the South side of the loch (normal route is off road and goes the other side). Day 1 took us to Fort Augustus and it was surprisingly tough for its 38ish miles. That said we were 6 days into a tour. There are some big hills on the S side. Fort Augustus to Fort Bill is dead easy, just bowl down the canal. Have fun. To do it in a day is feasible, if you are fit.

Top Bottom