Great Manchester Cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
Has anyone done this before? I am thinking of entering next year, but wondered if it is good/bad idea? I've done the Great North Run before, but am now more of a cyclist than a runner and so fancied entering an event on those lines.

http://www.greatcycle.org/

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
I've done it the last two years and enjoyed it both times. Feed station is well stocked and excellent for services for the fee.
There were a few gungho idiots this year, but overall a very good morning

OP
OP
G

gavgav

Guru
I've done it the last two years and enjoyed it both times. Feed station is well stocked and excellent for services for the fee.
There were a few gungho idiots this year, but overall a very good morning
Which distance did you do? I was thinking of aiming for the 52 miler, but from reading the descriptions on their website it seems that is aimed for the fast road cyclists. I consider myself a competent cyclist, capable of averaging around 13 mph on a fairly flat route at the moment, but most ive done so far is 42 miles. Plenty of time to train though

Done it both years so far, 52 first year and 26 this year due to lack of saddle time.

It's well organised but it is very highly subscribed which in turns makes for very busy roads, and when coupled with the 'gungho idiots' that TB mentions above can make for some hairy moments, but if you keep your wits about you, don't get caught up with the cock wombles going for PB's, and just enjoy it then IMO it does make for a nice easy ride.

FWIW doing the 26 mile ride this year made me think there would be a reduction in the number of 'gungho idiots' when compared to the 52 miler.................................I was wrong.

I'd still consider doing it next year though as I do like the closed road aspect.

[EDIT] just read your above post, don't get hung about average speeds, honestly you'll be fine. I've known a few people literally panicking over it in the past, but they've always got round without any problem.

on the road

Über Member
Do it, it's good fun and don't worry about your 13mph average, you'll go a lot faster than that on the Great Manchester Cycle.

OP
OP
G

gavgav

Guru
Do they not line you up with faster riders at the front, like the great north run, and then slower ones at the back, etc? Would make more sense to me. Maybe it's not possible with the course layout though?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Do they not line you up with faster riders at the front, like the great north run, and then slower ones at the back, etc? Would make more sense to me. Maybe it's not possible with the course layout though?

No - they let BC members line up but with no measurement of speed.

Also, by the 3rd lap there were all sorts of fast/medium/slow riders. TBH it was a combination of fast riders and slow riders both riding poorly which caused problems.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Do they not line you up with faster riders at the front ?

Sadly no, it's whoever gets there first to join the queue although BC riders seem to get preference.

I did the 26 mile route last year and the 52 miles this year and I enjoyed both.
My view is that, apart from the initial scramble away from the line, the roads are wide enough to be able to make yourself enough space to be relatively safe. You just need to stay alert, anticipate what's likely to happen in front of you and keep looking over both shoulders*.

As for the average speed, you'll almost certainly get round at a higher speed than you've previously managed. If you can't make it, I'm sure they'll just (gently) shepherd you off.
You can then rejoin the next lot if you're intent on doing the full route; both years we've used the closed roads to get home, stopping off en route to watch the other riders.
It's quite something to see, especially the families doing the 1 lap route- there are kids on tag-alongs behind their parents or solo on tiny BMXs. It's fantastic.

*Not necessarily at the same time but I'm sure it's a great trick if you can do it.

Last edited:

on the road

Über Member
I must have been lucky because I never experience riders weaving all over the road, and I started near the back so was catching riders up. It was a bit hairy round the hairpin bends but you should be alright providing you watch the riders ahead of you while keeping an eye on those behind you and to the side, be prepared to go wide if necessary. And if you're among a group of cyclists then keep your wits about you, be ready to take evasive action if something goes wrong.

Mickthemove

Über Member
I did the 26 and that was well enough although it was fun ! Doing 4 laps of the same thing on the 52 would bore me to death! We cycled 20 miles to it and 20 miles back to make it a good days cycling.

Nick Stone

I did it in under 3 hours for the 52, I was panicking thinking I'd never make the cut, but had a flyer. Did some training, brother paced me avg 18mph was amazed for that distance. I really enjoyed and will be going for next year as well. Do it, I'm a fat bloke if I can, anyone can!

Top Bottom