Great North Bike Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A Nutter

Gary Kenny - a cycling quizmaster
The first set of riders left at about 9.05

JohnRedcoRn

I THoroughly enjoyed it ! first time at anything like that since i been cycling. it was a fantastic day ; really nice atmosphere, no feeling of being intimidated by experienced roadsters...people, including me felt free to stop and rest whenever needed - seems like cyclist are a decent bunch ! about 20 miles beyond my limit to date....for the last 10 - 15 miles my legs throbbing and my undercarriage very sore, but it was nice pushing myself through the 'give up' spells but at a pace i could manage.
Again it wasnt a race but its encouraging to know that i finished before a few hundred others , so after about 2 months cycling i'm feeling very proud !
Feel sorry for the poor chap whose chain broke at the start line !
And i heard a couple of people got hurt ? hope not too badly.

PS: thinking of riding in fancy dress next year, so if anyones interested in joining 'team redcorn' , get your red indian headdress and warpaint on ! (john redcorn - named after the character from the american cartoon 'king of the hill')

Great day and i'm still knackered !

GaryA

Subversive Sage
We did the GNR for the third year running. Came in 3:40ish, 15 min slower than last year mainly because my bro is recovering from a shoulder operation and could not push all the way...its the first year we have followed the hoards and missed out the (annoying) off road bits and kept on the road on the run in to Warkworth and the A189 Spine road ( which was a bit scary with those Linfish bean-can car knobbers blasting up the slip roads:angry:)
#Highly enjoyable even though i suffered more from the after effects of being sunburnt than sore legs!
Oh and another thing wheres the free bottle of beer gone?:rolleyes: " 2 years ago they had some decent polish beer at the finishing line, then again it saved us the embarrasment of mixing dehydration with alcohol- last time we glugged it down and had promptly a hangover on the ferry back to shields:becool::biggrin: Hic!

Top Bottom