Great ride to work today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I was amazed to find the sun was shining, the roads were nearly empty, the lights were all green and there was plenty of space in the bike shed. This is the way it should be:biggrin:

HJ, it's rides like this that make up for all those grinds in the rian and wind;)

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
It was indeed a lovely day to cycle, and strangely enough the paths were pretty pedestrian & dog-walker free too.

Which was ideal as I had a dodgy stomach and I suddenly had to make the last 5 miles home very quickly indeed.... :biggrin:

radger

Veteran
Great ride home today - a WVM let me into the lane to go round a bus, then proceeded to not drive up my chuff revving his head off. No motorbikes tried to go round to my right while I was turning right, and no-one blocked the cycle path onto Southwark Bridge.

It made up for this morning's suicidal antics by other cyclists, which are the top of my list of spoilers for a commute.

I think my commute home was also improved by the fact I resigned today, and the CEO nearly cried :biggrin:

Andy 71

Funnily enough, my ride in this morning and home tonight was the best in ages. Lovely conditions.

However, I rode home in the pouring rain last night and there is something quite satisfying to see all the numpty peds diving for cover.

Tynan

Veteran
puffed a bit on the way in, fine coming home

I found the relatively empty roads disconcerting in places

hordes of bikes out all of a sudden, some of them very annoying, can;t they recognise a bike that's going to twice as fast as them?

the usual routine near misses and self-gratification artists seeing me and then pulling out anyway, it's getting very boring

Hairy Jock said:
Perversely, I rather enjoy those too..

I know what you mean, but they still make a good counterpoint to those oh so rare "perfect" days;)

Tynan

Veteran
puffed in again today after feeling like iron last week, I suspect I might have overdone it a bit last week, a real effort this week while last week it felt effortless

the wind hasn't been kind this week, gusting all over the place

I genuinely feel like the bike is a gear out or the brakes are dragging or suchlike, I've checked twice ad the bikes is absolutely fine

sigh

:biggrin:

clefty

after a lovely cycle in yesterday the cycling gods conspired against me this evening, first getting a puncture, then using up all my Co2 canisters, then having the valve die on me and refuse to hold air.
luckily there was an Evans a couple of miles away so was able to buy a new tube and sort it out..however then had a 20mph headwind to contend with for 10 miles..
I'm still glad I didnt buckle, fold the beast up and take the train tho.

..and sleep....

purpleR

Guru
I wasn't feeling well today so tried to catch the bus home. It didn't turn up :biggrin: so shared a taxi home with a couple of other stranded chaps.

Very civilised, nice to chat to some random strangers, not much more expensive than the bus would've been. I better not tell my mum though cos she'd have a fit!

Tynan

Veteran
tsk

been some funny old winds, neither for or against depnding on stages of the journey

tough old week this week, after overdoing it last week (I think) but soldiering on

puncture AND valve failure?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i often ride home with a chap from work who, in the normal scheme of things, is much faster than me, especially when we sprint up a rise before we go our separate ways.

on a normal day, he'll win.

yesterday, however, he got caught at some lights while i got away, so i took it easy and sure enough he caught up. so i upped the pace and used the traffic to get him in front by the bottom of the rise. once he had lifted one hand off the bars for something i attacked and must have won by several lengths.

nice tactical win :thumbsup:

Top Bottom