Green Oil Eco Spray (Kickstarter)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noru

What are people's thoughts on Green Oils Kickstarter to raise funds to create a PTFE & petrochemical free spray can line?

Green Oil EcoSpray Kickstarter page

I've fairly recently changed to using Green Oil products after my stash of 20W-40 motorcycle oil ran out. I have to say so far I'm impressed and would like to see an alternative to the current sprays added to their products too, so it gets my support.

This is the first time I've used Kickstarter too so hopefully it's a safe system having already given it my card details.

At the moment its at 60% of its funding target with 5 days to go.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Dont those types of product already exist?

Did you know that mineral oil is also biodegradable?
Did you know that no amount of stuff sprayed on suspension forks can rejuvinate them?
Did you know that there's no need for PTFEs in any bicycle oil in the first place?
What propellant do you intend using - something green one would assume?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Did you know that no amount of stuff sprayed on suspension forks can rejuvinate them?
Did you know that there's no need for PTFEs in any bicycle oil in the first place?

Whilst I agree with most of that, the "propellant" I use for chain oil is the thumb lever on my oil can and when I bought proper chain oil I squeezed the plastic bottle.

For all that, given you've a steel bike which has itself consumed a lot of resources to make special oil does sound like greenwash. I dare say more resources are consumed in making the special green oil than in just having some normal oil instead.

OP
OP
Noru

Noru

All good questions. I'm not the originator of the kickstarter project nor am I connected to them in any way (beyond having purchased a couple of their products before and pledging £18 in return for 2 cans & some degreaser if it does get fully funded).

I was just interested in views on it. I'll do some more reading up on the subject.

Last edited:

simongreenoil

The only green thing about this idea is the colour

Hi, I came across this forum and thought I'd set a few things straight:

1)) Most spray lubes contain PTFE and petrochemical oil.

2) PTFE doesn't biodegrade, creates a carcinogen when it's made made and accumulates in the environment and
body tissue. Greenpeace has a nice video online about polyflourinated chemicals like PTFE.

3) Some mineral oils biodegrade, but in much more than 28 days, and they cause harm before they do break down.

Green Oil EcoSpray lube uses a sustainably sourced plant based formula - so it will stop mechanics breathing in harmful chemicals, and stop PTFE going into the environment.

I really beleive in this, I ride and fix bikes, and really want to stop people harming the environment and their health.

Interesting debate

Last edited by a moderator:

Drago

Legendary Member
What about other natural oils, like lanolin, that don't deprive the World of productive farmland to grow oil instead of food?

The absence of PTFE I can agree with, the rest... I mean, do you even know what a mineral is without Googling it first?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Why do you need/want to spray the stuff anyway? It's an inherently wasteful way of applying lubricant - use an oil can, or an hypodermic as I do - a little lube goes a long long way - problem solved.

GuyBoden

Guru
P1030042.JPG

"Castor 927 Racing 2-Stroke oil is a 100% Castor bean oil. It provides maximum lubrication to the engines hottest parts, by sticking to the piston rings, cylinder wall, piston and the other major 2-stroke engine`s internal parts, i.e. big and small end bearings. The oil is 100% vegetable based, so is 100% bio-degradable.

Castor 927 is a unique blend of highly refined Castor oil, a specially prepared synthetic and an additive system that reduces carbon and gum formation and provides excellent rust and corrosion protection. Castor 927 also contains an exclusive additive that keeps power valves cleaner and working properly. For all of us that wish to keep our air and water cleaner, Castor 927 is biodegradable. Castor 927 keeps on lubricating; where other lubricants turn to carbon or vaporize, and provides extra protection on cylinder walls, bearing journals and other critical areas at temperatures much higher than other lubricants."

So, I think this Castor Oil should be ok on a bike chain, if it doesn't get gummy........

raleighnut

Legendary Member
View attachment 344812

"Castor 927 Racing 2-Stroke oil is a 100% Castor bean oil. It provides maximum lubrication to the engines hottest parts, by sticking to the piston rings, cylinder wall, piston and the other major 2-stroke engine`s internal parts, i.e. big and small end bearings. The oil is 100% vegetable based, so is 100% bio-degradable.

Castor 927 is a unique blend of highly refined Castor oil, a specially prepared synthetic and an additive system that reduces carbon and gum formation and provides excellent rust and corrosion protection. Castor 927 also contains an exclusive additive that keeps power valves cleaner and working properly. For all of us that wish to keep our air and water cleaner, Castor 927 is biodegradable. Castor 927 keeps on lubricating; where other lubricants turn to carbon or vaporize, and provides extra protection on cylinder walls, bearing journals and other critical areas at temperatures much higher than other lubricants."

So, I think this Castor Oil should be ok on a bike chain, if it doesn't get gummy........
There's nothing like the smell of Castor Oil being burnt,

View: https://youtu.be/etv7R-uw2Qc

Especially when there was a grid full of them,

View: https://youtu.be/NNkdZSg-m0M

Just down the road from me and yes I was there. :becool:

Last edited:
Top Bottom