Green tea anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
My tea bag bag is keen to announce Tetleys' enthusiasm for the Ethical Tea Partnership:

1619273211048.png

Well I prefer my tea ethical, so that's good.

They're also keen on the rainforest & that:

1619273287229.png

Hey, we all like those little green frogs, right?

They even have time for a wee environmental tip:

1619273337917.png

Thanks Tetley tea folk, I will.

The only thing the pack doesn't have is any kind of info about whether it's recyclable.

My guess would be, because it isn't.

Cheers, Tetley!

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Are their teabags still made with a high quantity of plastic?

Most of the tea I get over this way is loose leaf. Does come in a plastic bag mind, but no teabags to dispose of. A teaspoon of it in a diffuser pot makes a nice brew, and you can experiment with different blends, and get just the right strength without wastage. Teabags are handy for traveling, but not been doing much of that lately :sad:

Tenkaykev

Guru
My tea bag bag is keen to announce Tetleys' enthusiasm for the Ethical Tea Partnership:

View attachment 585502

View attachment 585503

View attachment 585504

The only thing the pack doesn't have is any kind of info about whether it's recyclable.

Cheers, Tetley!

I think it’s called “ greenwashing”

Apparently not. According to my domestic goddess our PG Tips bags now have minimal plastic in them.
They all go in the compost bin then onto the garden.
interesting - so i can put tea bags in general (i use the odd one) into the council's veg matter/organic cycling?
(tho there is of course paper in them)

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Apparently not. According to my domestic goddess our PG Tips bags now have minimal plastic in them.
They all go in the compost bin then onto the garden.

Their site says they have now gone plastic free, using plant-based materials instead.

There's an interesting BBC video about the use of plastic tea bags here. Wait till you see the results of the tests for Twinings, Tetley and Yorkshire :eek:

View: https://youtu.be/l0PnkwOsHkE

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I've gone back to loose leaf tea & have made my own little bags to put it in. One of the huge advantages of working from home is that I can make tea in a pot rather than a mug and that I can use PG Tips rather than Yorkshire that the tea fund insisted on buying.

The loose leaf tea comes in a box with a single plastic inner cover, so not too bad.

classic33

Leg End Member
I've gone back to loose leaf tea & have made my own little bags to put it in. One of the huge advantages of working from home is that I can make tea in a pot rather than a mug and that I can use PG Tips rather than Yorkshire that the tea fund insisted on buying.

The loose leaf tea comes in a box with a single plastic inner cover, so not too bad.
Can see you now, sat at the sewing machine stitching the bags up.

View attachment 585502

View attachment 585503

View attachment 585504

Cheers, Tetley!

It's most likely made from LDPE (not sure i know the pack though) which certainly is recyclable, whether your local recycling point "bothers" or is capable of recycling it is another story.

I would recycle that, no question.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
We've gone back to loose leaf tea too. Drinking a mug of it as I type. Co-op 99 tea, so it is fair trade as well as plastic free. Although they come in what appears to be a very non-recylcable bag.

There are a lot of bag residues in my garden due to composting bags before I realised that they were made with plastic. Keep digging them up when I plant things in the garden. Nowadays when my wife has a fruit tea I just dry the bag out, remove the contents for composting and then bin the bag.

On a side issue, neighbours, who are American, were complaining that you can't get boxes of tea bags any smaller than 80 bags. Their friends offered the opinion that 80 bags was indeed a small box.

bitsandbobs

Über Member
Their site says they have now gone plastic free, using plant-based materials instead.

There's an interesting BBC video about the use of plastic tea bags here. Wait till you see the results of the tests for Twinings, Tetley and Yorkshire :eek:

View: https://youtu.be/l0PnkwOsHkE

The Unilever site doesn't seem entirely clear to me. If you read it carefully, they don't say the newer teabags are plastics free. They say they are using a plant-based biodegradable material made from corn starch. They don't say what it is, but I'd assume it's PLA which is itself a plastics material, albeit one derived from plants. Unilever want to give the impression that they don't use plastics without actually stating that (maybe because they are not allowed to).

Yorkshire Tea is clearer that it is switching to PLA and that they are still therefore using plastics.

Top Bottom