Greenhouse relocation/glass removal question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My dad gave me his greenhouse about 25 years ago. It's got to be at least 40 years old. Now they don't make them like that anymore.

We want to relocate the greenhouse slightly - where it was placed, the land has subsided and the greenhouse is on a slope and looks daft compared to my level decking next to it. The plan is to remove all the glass as a few panels need replacing anyway, relocate the greenhouse without glass in it, and build it onto a timber frame to level it.

What's the best way to remove the glass, it's been stuck in with glass sealant. Very sharp bladed knife ? I'll ether replace the broken panes with glass or 3mm acrylic - acrylic will be placed near potential 'contact areas'.

Assuming you mean the glass is set in putty then the putty will be hard. It will also be randomly brittle and rock hard.
A putty knife or an old chisel will work best. You will probably have to use a hammer and be prepared for breakages.
It's PIA of a job.

If you mean some form of silicone sealant the a knife will be best.

Whichever it is you will/may have problems on the inside where you can't get a proper angle for you tools.

Good luck.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I can’t help you. But good luck.

I bet the glass is very thin and brittle if it’s anything like the old greenhouse I dismantled recently. I was going to the dump so care wasn’t a consideration. Stopping unseen shards of glass flying around the garden was my biggest issue.

3mm acrylic is quite expensive at the moment. I imagine in 6 months-year's time they wont be able to give it away.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Something like this,
https://www.arco.co.uk/products/3110450?s=1
or a kitchen knife with a thin, flexible blade.

Might sound daft, but are there any fasteners(screws/clip joints) on the inside?

Sounds like an option. No clips on the inside - there are loads of spring clips on the outside that I'll have to remove though.

Looks like I'll have to be very careful removing the glass.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Is the frame Aluminium, or wood?

If aluminium, I would expect the glass to be held in place with clips.

If wood, I would expect putty or silicone, in which case, good luck, both the glass and the wooden frame will probably be quite delicate.

Depending on the size of the greenhouse, perhaps, it would be easier to leave the glass intact, and dismantle the frame, with glass in place, relocate and re-assemble ?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Depending on the size of the greenhouse, perhaps, it would be easier to leave the glass intact, and dismantle the frame, with glass in place, relocate and re-assemble ?
I suspect the panels aren’t very rigid. It could start wobbling and glass doesn’t bend very well.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I got given a greenhouse for my allotment on the condition I dismantled it. It was a pain but doable. Thick gloves and a sharp knife. I did have to to sacrifice a few bolts that sheared but easily replaced.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Aluminium with clips and putty !

The weight might be an issue to shift with glass in place ! One end needs lifting at least 6 inches - very wonky.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I suspect the panels aren’t very rigid. It could start wobbling and glass doesn’t bend very well.

Yes, I would agree, that and the weight of panel, plus glass. That is why I mention the size. A panel off a (say) 7*5 greenhouse MAY be moveable by two people, but, not a panel off (say) a 10*8 job :rolleyes:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Aluminium with clips and putty !

The weight might be an issue
to shift with glass in place ! One end needs lifting at least 6 inches - very wonky.

oh dear!

Another though, if you just want to level it, and not actually re-locate it, could you use a large crowbar/lever to raise the "down" end, a little at a time, placing packing after each "lift". I managed to do that with a wooden garden shed (7*5).

Top Bottom