Greetings from a new rider in California

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So I bought my first bike sense childhood back in January, a 2014 Raleigh Talus 29 (It is bright green for those that care). I bought the bike with the goal to ride to work and back, and ride some light trails on the weekends (I have not reached the trails part of my goals yet). I figure that riding to work will allow me to lose some weight (of which I have gained plenty of) and save some money on gas.

My ride to work is five to six miles, depending on the route I take. Back in January I found that even just a one mile ride was extremely difficult but pushed through it and continued to add more distance each week until in February I tried a dry run on a Sunday and made the trip to work (I felt as if I was going to die but I made it). For the past few weeks I have been riding my bike to and from work at least three time a week and it is getting easier.

I just wanted to let you know I am new, but making progress. This is a fun sport that also has practical applications. I have some more detailed information about my struggle with starting out on my site http://beefcakefitness.com where I have been blogging about each week.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi Damien and :welcome:.

Well done getting back on the bike. It'll continue to get easier the more you ride so keep up the good work.:thumbsup:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hi. Well done as Phil says. Welcome to the site. I hope you continue to improve and enjoy your cycling.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
:welcome: and well done on the fitness gain.
As said above the cycling will become easier. Eating huge portions of cake will also become easier: cycling and cake go together :hungry: ^_^

Hi Damien
Looked up your city on wikipedia and it looks like with your great climate you could probably cycle all year?.

Hi Damien
Looked up your city on wikipedia and it looks like with your great climate you could probably cycle all year?.
I can and people do cycle all year out here. We have a huge road bike population and due to the many mountains and trails a large mountain bike population too. I really could not ask for a better place (minus the lack of consideration to bikes in the city, it is a bit better in San Diego but more expensive). The fact I started out in the dead of winter, sorry we don't really have winter here, really speaks volumes. It is summer that is an issue and only during mid-day it hits some crazy high temperatures.

Top Bottom