Greetings from Africa.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Or Nigeria to be precise, where I am on business for two weeks.

I am pleased to report that for the first time in 20 years of travelling in Africa I have a feeling that things may be heading in the right direction. For example here in Lagos the local Government has stopped stealing 100% of the money and is now diverting about 5% of it to worthy causes like knocking down illegal encroachments and tidying up this filthy disease ridden city of 18 million. There are now two airlines operating domestically, Virgin Nigeria and Aero Contractors, which have IATA standard maintenance and probably won't crash. There is a new domestic air terminal. There are plans to widen the disgracefully congested and potholed major road to neighbouring Benin into a super-highway, maybe even with a monorail. Violent crime seems to be down as Police are actually out on the streets demanding cash from motorists, which means they don't need to hire their guns out to criminals at night. The Nigerian Government has been forced to close down dozens and dozens of crooked banks and the remaining few are generally behaving responsibly, gaining international credibility and even enriching their shareholders, who are typically realising 35% on their investments. I haven't seen a corpse in the street for about a year now.

However there is still no public water and electricity comes for only an hour or so a day. Diesel fuel is more expensive by the day and there are massive queues at filling stations. The public telephone network has collapsed and I reckon many millions of pounds worth of copper cable is festooned around the drunkenly leaning telegraph poles. Disease is still rife and beggars pester you at every corner.

So.... business as usual but signs of improvement.

Enjoy your electricity tonight.

No, I do not want to assist you in claiming $475,000,000 by providing my bank account details !

atbman

Veteran
And the Nigerian Cycling Federation has started going into schools and colleges to find a new generation of riders, following two coaches from the Assoc. of British Cycle Coaches to start them off on the right track at the previously unused national velodrome.

With some support from Virgin Airlines, funnily enough.

ChrisKH

Guru
Maz said:
What job do you do?

We don't talk about that. He's a rent boy for gun-dealing warlords. He get's Tuesdays and Sundays off now, hence the improvement. ;)

Maz

Guru
ChrisKH said:
We don't talk about that. He's a rent boy for gun-dealing warlords. He get's Tuesdays and Sundays off now, hence the improvement. ;)
Hence his username?

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Maz said:
What job do you do?

Export sales, industrial perfumes. They need it here, believe me.

I occasionally see groups of cyclists out on Sunday riding beaten up bikes, which is why I'd like to make contact with them; I'm sure they would be happy to receive any unwanted parts from people's sheds.

Maz

Guru
Cheers. Thanks for that, RR.

OT, but we have those automatic puff of perfume air fresheners in our conference rooms at work. It cracks me up when it gives out a squirt every 15 minutes...I keep imagining it gets triggered whenever the person giving the presentation has just pumped out an eggy fart.

Top Bottom