greetings from Maine (USA)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
We have a noteworthy number of overseas members, and increasing numbers from the US.

You still use proper units like feet, inches, pounds and MPH, so you're very welcome.

You shouldn't be ridiculed for keeping fit, minimising your environmental impact, saving money and having a good time - we should be taking pity on the non cyclists for their lazy, fat, planet killing, road rage stress way of life.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Hi Lisa. I'm in the south suburban Boston area and welcome to the forums. I've been an avid cycle tourer (still have a lovely steel Dawes Sardar that I hope to get out touring on one day). I do have opinions on cycle touring, but the most important thing is to get out and tour. Feel free to post and I'll do my best as well as others to provide advice and opinions (it's the dividing line between the two that's hard to discern at times).

I used to frequent Crazyguyonabike.com -there is undoubtedly a wealth of great resources on that site -but to be honest I've found I've disagreed with the person who runs it so decided it just wasn't my cup of tea. But that's just my take, and yours might be different so it's worth a look I'd say.

Oh, and good luck with school!

p.s. ignore Drago as he is a troublemaker :smile: if you use science, stick with the metric system! It took me a long time to find a tape measure that had metric on it over here.

OP
OP
LisaG71

LisaG71

Regular
No! I dont want to see you fall.
Fall, as in autumn. Isnt it the Pine Tree State? I was lucky enough to visit Boston to see relatives many years ago, and had enough time to take a trip along the Roue 1 through Maine. We ended up fishing for brown trout in a place called China, on Lake China, which is impossible to forget.

Sounds like a good shape to start getting your fitness back with. Depending on how you want to carry gear, you may need to upgrade to tour. Others with more knowledge of that frame will be along soon! Bikepacking is one way to get round not having the necessary bits on the frame to attach regular panniers and racks.

Great dog! I have a small Bedlington, which is a curly-coated cousin of the whippet. Has the same mad brain at times, but doesn't run as far or as fast. Must be a laid-back whippet to be cool in a trailer. (BTW, I'm a Yorkshireman, and we are forever associated with flat caps and whippets, favoured headgear and hound of the average working coal-miner in these parts :rolleyes:).

We are out of Europe now, so there's no worry about converting to metric here. This lot are all so old that quarts, bushels, grains and leagues are familiar from their school days. Just try to not mention "Brexit" is all!
I know what a Bedlington is. I used to handled a few at dog shows. Sweet breed. Waaaaay to much grooming for my liking though..

OP
OP
LisaG71

LisaG71

Regular
I know what a Bedlington is. I used to handled a few at dog shows. Sweet breed. Waaaaay to much grooming for my liking though..
YUP!
this is the pine street state!!! BUT, With any luck, I'll be in MD in Autumn at St. Mary's college.

OH! and YES, there are spots to add panniers to this bike. I contacted the company who told me this bike can bike tour without issues.

forgive me for all the small messages, I'll get used to this format eventually.

OP
OP
LisaG71

LisaG71

Regular
Hi Lisa. I'm in the south suburban Boston area and welcome to the forums. I've been an avid cycle tourer (still have a lovely steel Dawes Sardar that I hope to get out touring on one day). I do have opinions on cycle touring, but the most important thing is to get out and tour. Feel free to post and I'll do my best as well as others to provide advice and opinions (it's the dividing line between the two that's hard to discern at times).

I used to frequent Crazyguyonabike.com -there is undoubtedly a wealth of great resources on that site -but to be honest I've found I've disagreed with the person who runs it so decided it just wasn't my cup of tea. But that's just my take, and yours might be different so it's worth a look I'd say.

Oh, and good luck with school!

p.s. ignore Drago as he is a troublemaker :smile: if you use science, stick with the metric system! It took me a long time to find a tape measure that had metric on it over here.
awesome! a fellow New Englander!
To be honest, in the field I am going into the metric system and even scientific names aren't used much. I plan to work at an aquarium or a zoo. Everything will be in laymans terms to engage the public understanding of ecosystems and the animals which live in them.

I actually come to Boston frequently to go to Brigham's and Women's, favorite Dr. is there. Boston is my FAVORITE city in NE. It's beautiful, full of history, and museums and the aquarium (of course).

I will be sure to keep my manners around Drago . . .lol

And thanks! I am expecting an A in my class I took this semester.

Duc gas

Über Member
awesome! a fellow New Englander!
To be honest, in the field I am going into the metric system and even scientific names aren't used much. I plan to work at an aquarium or a zoo. Everything will be in laymans terms to engage the public understanding of ecosystems and the animals which live in them.

I actually come to Boston frequently to go to Brigham's and Women's, favorite Dr. is there. Boston is my FAVORITE city in NE. It's beautiful, full of history, and museums and the aquarium (of course).

I will be sure to keep my manners around Drago . . .lol

And thanks! I am expecting an A in my class I took this semester.
My son is a zoo keeper in the uk, a fantastic job if you’re lucky enough. 👍

Drago

Legendary Member
Greeting from Yorkshire the best place in this country.
...after the Scilly Isles :okay:

geocycle

Legendary Member
Maine is a great place, had an amazing holiday in Arcadia national park. The lobsters were a highlight! It would be a good place for cycle touring from what I could see.

OP
OP
LisaG71

LisaG71

Regular
Maine is a great place, had an amazing holiday in Arcadia national park. The lobsters were a highlight! It would be a good place for cycle touring from what I could see.
My ex-husband is a lobsterman ..lol
I really could care less if I eat lobster or not... though working on the boat was FUN! I'd rather band them, than eat them

OP
OP
LisaG71

LisaG71

Regular
I joined the helmet debate thread.
(even though someone told me not to). I am HOPING all you wonderful people can give me some advice and talk me into getting a bike helmet and leaving my motorcross helmets for my quad

Top Bottom