Greetings from Portsmouth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

This Time Next Year

Hi all, just got back into cycling (after a ten year gap) thanks to the cycle2work scheme. Got a Boardman Hybrid Comp, really enjoying riding it around so much faster and generally better than the BSO I had as a teenager.

Found a few nice little routes around Portsmouth. I'll be asking lots of (stupid) questions on here in the next few weeks as I get back up to speed, so be prepared!

stefan-west1

Regular
Welcome. I'm new as well so don't worry you won't be the only one asking stupid questions. I've never rode properly. Just the odd family bike ride on a cheap mountain bike from hellfords :biggrin:

Found a few nice little routes around Portsmouth.

Hi This Time Next Year, how timely of you to turn up here this year!

I wonder if you have managed to cycle along the creek, on the north bank yet? I'm very close to getting there to recce this route, and I've had some advice regarding cycling this on a tandem, bit would love to see what the area around the rail bridge is like?

If you've been there, it'd be great to have some more thoughts!

OP
OP
This Time Next Year

This Time Next Year

I wonder if you have managed to cycle along the creek, on the north bank yet?

Is this some sort of initiation test? Send a newbie down a dead end? If it is, well played sir, if it isn't, I think it should be from now on.

I'm not 100% on where you exactly mean, but I think you mean the bit between cosham at the portsbridge roundabout, and the eastern road/A27 roundabout at farlington.

I regularly jog through the forest just to the south of the creek, and know that of the two choices there (either side of the three ponds) the north side is definitely very passable on anything other than a road bike/skinny wheeled hybrid, the south side, can be a lot narrowerer/lumpier/muddier, probably not ideal for a tandem.

Where the north side of the pond route reaches the railway tracks, there's a small descent down, with a bit of a tight turn on gravelly wet bits, taken slow though shouldn't be a problem. Tandem may be tricky but certainly passable, may involve a bit of walking/pushing to be sure, but advice would be go there and see.

Now for the path to the north of the creek... (The water separating portsea island from the mainland).

I didn't know this path well so I went and had a look see this morning. Went for the Cosham end first, narrow path very gravelly, didn't fancy it on my skinny wheeled hybrid. Eventually got the Eastern road end and had a look there, ageing concrete path. Barely a foot wide in places due to overgrowth. Get to the railway line and bam. path just stops, well say "stops" what i mean is descends menacingly into the water. In a word. Impassable.

OP
OP
This Time Next Year

This Time Next Year

When say impassible, I mean...

7379254260_92feb19861.jpg

Thanks very much This Time Next Year, that is a great help! I'll have a think now - maybe check the tide times, and come along and have a look!

:thumbsup:

Top Bottom