Greetings from Suffolk!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I will certainly try to get out when I can and have bought a few bits and pieces to try out clothing wise. I've also acquired a secondhand set of Aksiums to pop on the Roubaix over winter to keep the Ksyriums shiny. I guess I'll put these on later this month before they start gritting the roads. I won't be going as far as putting mudguards on but my commuter has them so I can always jump on that if I feel the urge to go out on the roads in really grim weather :laugh: Other than that I'll be trying to use the mountain bike a bit more, I've not really got it properly dirty yet :blush:

MikeG

Guru
When I was riding serious mileage, up to 3 years ago, I did only marginally less in the winter than the summer. I'd say mudguards are verging on vital for winter riding, unless you like having muck thrown up your back constantly.

MikeG

Guru
How's your back now MikeG? Hope you're out and about by now!

100%, thanks. I'm building this, which rather gets in the way of riding, as we're living in it:

8twFsaJ.jpg

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
Hi there ..
I ride through Lowestoft most days , although I'm in Norfolk roads and scenery better in Suffolk

jonyjony

Hello and welcome from North Suffolk ( Oulton Broad , Lowestoft ) .
I am at the other end of both Suffolk and bike ownership :bicycle:. Next March i will be doing my 3 rd long distance ( by my standards ) off road ride in Spain , from Malaga to Salamanca , or if i still have the strength, on to Santiago de Compostela on MY new £16 bike ....well new to me ....i put a bid of £16 on a secondhand Sarazan mountain bike on E bay and won the bid :bravo:. I had to drive to near King Lynn to pick it up , but was pleasantly surprised at its condition ,......so, this bike , which i will ship out to malaga for £99 and then at the end of my ride i will give it away , will save my the cost of hiring a bike ( anywhere between 250 euros and 360 euros ) .
Good luck with your recovery .

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've just signed up for 2 events in the new year - a 75 mile sportive in June (Norwich Cycle Swarm) and a 100 mile sportive in September (Ipswich Cycle Swarm) so I've got some goals for the coming year ^_^ Who knows if I'll reach them but may as well try :thumbsup: I'm currently in the middle of one last little push, another 19 miles needed to clock up 1300 for 2017 :tongue: I targeted 1000 so I'm thrilled with that, bearing in mind where I've come from in just 12 months :becool: I'm going to target 2500 for next year so need to get out first thing on the first of Jan and get peddling - its lucky I dont drink anymore as I'll be fresh as a daisy! :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Thanks @Katherine :smile:

1302 miles was my final total for 2017 ^_^ Looking through Strava it becomes quite apparent how far I've come - the first few rides were in the region of 1.2 to 3 miles at average speeds of less than 10mph and I can still remember the feeling of utter exhaustion after them :laugh: In fact in the first quarter I only went out 10 times riding a total of 91.6 miles... The furthest I rode in a week in 2017 was 101.7 miles in mid July, the week I completed my first (and so far only) sportive.

This got me thinking - to kick the year off well it would be nice to ride further in the first week of 2018 than I did in the first quarter of 2017 :laugh: I'm currently at 83.9 miles and have yet to go out today and have realised I can either do an easy 8 miles to achieve the target or stretch it out slightly further to 18 miles and beat last years highest mileage week as well. No points for guessing which I'm aiming for :becool:

I'm currently sat indoors waiting for the wind to die down a bit - it'd be a shame to finish on the turbo but if needs must... :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
There is certainly some lovely scenery around here :okay:

I finished up with 12 miles on the turbo. Enough to beat my target and my second best weekly distance total :tongue: The weekly total will be beaten another time outdoors with real* miles :laugh:

*Is it me, or do those 'imaginary' turbo miles hurt more than 'real' ones?! :laugh:

Top Bottom