Greetings from Thailand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark White

Hi everyone!

I'm a 45 year old expat originally from Nottingham now living in rural South Thailand, which has been the case for the last 8 years or so. From having bikes at an early age, I ended up with an Enfield racer at 14 and practiced to the point where I got a speeding ticket for drafting buses down University Boulevard at 16. So I switched to something slower, getting a Yamaha FS1E and sticking with small motorbikes for a while, until cars and, for a short while, a Kona MTB came into my life. But mostly I've been off-bike for 30 years.

The sudden realisation was that I have spent the last 6 years sat at a computer all day (as a work-at-home developer/sys admin) and with each passing year it was going to get harder to regain my fitness, I did some research and ended up with a hybrid, specifically a Trek FX 7.2, from the local LBS. And this has turned out to totally suit my needs over the last 6 months or so.

Cycling has gone from an early circuit of 5 miles at 12mph, to 12 miles at 15mph a few days a week, and this last week I've hit 18 miles at 17mph every day, and completed a 31 mile route this morning which is my longest yet. And I'm happy enough at all of this. Endurance is improving, average speed is increasing, and I have pushed to 20mph for 2-3 miles on my best run earlier this week. It might be a while before I can keep that speed up for an hour, but it's all good for now.

As for where I live, it's hot (35-40C right now), flat (20 miles to the nearest hill) and bumpy (roads are not well maintained). This adds its own challenges to getting out and about, but the peace and quiet of an early morning ride down country lanes make it all worth while.

It's good this cycling lark, innit :-)

Mark...

ScotiaLass

Guru
:welcome: From a fellow MTB rider in Scotland, where it's not hot, plenty of hills and potholes!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hi everyone!

I'm a 45 year old expat originally from Nottingham now living in rural South Thailand, which has been the case for the last 8 years or so. From having bikes at an early age, I ended up with an Enfield racer at 14 and practiced to the point where I got a speeding ticket for drafting buses down University Boulevard at 16. So I switched to something slower, getting a Yamaha FS1E and sticking with small motorbikes for a while, until cars and, for a short while, a Kona MTB came into my life. But mostly I've been off-bike for 30 years.

The sudden realisation was that I have spent the last 6 years sat at a computer all day (as a work-at-home developer/sys admin) and with each passing year it was going to get harder to regain my fitness, I did some research and ended up with a hybrid, specifically a Trek FX 7.2, from the local LBS. And this has turned out to totally suit my needs over the last 6 months or so.

Cycling has gone from an early circuit of 5 miles at 12mph, to 12 miles at 15mph a few days a week, and this last week I've hit 18 miles at 17mph every day, and completed a 31 mile route this morning which is my longest yet. And I'm happy enough at all of this. Endurance is improving, average speed is increasing, and I have pushed to 20mph for 2-3 miles on my best run earlier this week. It might be a while before I can keep that speed up for an hour, but it's all good for now.

As for where I live, it's hot (35-40C right now), flat (20 miles to the nearest hill) and bumpy (roads are not well maintained). This adds its own challenges to getting out and about, but the peace and quiet of an early morning ride down country lanes make it all worth while.

It's good this cycling lark, innit :-)

Mark...
:welcome:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Hi,

it sounds like you're doing really well and enjoying it. From the few times I've been cycling in Thailand there seems to be a lot of interest both on road and off. Are there any clubs near you that you could join?

Yin dee dtaawn rap suu cycle chat! (I hope that's right).

GC

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hello and welcome from powys. Im not jealous of your weather of the flat land. (Bugger yes I am). Enjoy the forum

MattE72

Hi Mark. Quite spookily I'm just looking at flights to Thailand as my brother-in-law has just moved there and we're looking to visit in August! Hoping to get a few days in at a Muay Thai camp in but would also like a few days cycling in as well!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
:welcome: Mark!

OP
OP
Mark White

Mark White

Are there any clubs near you that you could join?

Not as such. There is an LBS that does rides out every month or so, and I did join the last one with about 25-30 people. Quite a leisurely pace, but very well marshalled. I'll be doing the next one too I think.

Yin dee dtaawn rap suu cycle chat! (I hope that's right).

Geng maak kap! :-)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mark White

Mark White

Hi Mark. Quite spookily I'm just looking at flights to Thailand as my brother-in-law has just moved there and we're looking to visit in August! Hoping to get a few days in at a Muay Thai camp in but would also like a few days cycling in as well!

It's not a bad time to come. The thing in Bangkok is very localised, albeit rather messy, but it's putting a lot of people off so the hotels and resorts are needing some tourists and prices can reflect that. And the baht/pound ratio is about at it's highest for a fair while.

What area are you looking at going to?

Top Bottom