Greetings from Thailand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mark White

Mark White

Hi Mark and welcome from the opposite end of the country.

Ah - Chiang Mai. You have hills then ;-)

This is me. Nice mountains fairly close, but too far for a ride out, up and back for me for now. Soon...

http://is.gd/nYxnD0

Oh, and a Happy Songkran to you!

And to you too. A bit belated now as the western working clock doesn't stop for Songkran and it's been a busy few days...

OP
OP
Mark White

Mark White

And thanks to all other welcomers :-)

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Hi everyone!

It's good this cycling lark, innit :-)

Mark...
Yes, it is! :smile: I'm relying on it to keep my apparent age down, and it appears to be working wonders***.

*** Well, apart from the occasional stack, where I add a few scars to my cycling scars collection. But the benefits far outweigh these minor inconveniences!

Durian

Über Member
Plenty of hills here, many of which still defeat me, but I do enjoy the challenge.

Glad Songkran is over, no fun getting doused in iced water whilst out and about on the bike.

MattE72

It's not a bad time to come. The thing in Bangkok is very localised, albeit rather messy, but it's putting a lot of people off so the hotels and resorts are needing some tourists and prices can reflect that. And the baht/pound ratio is about at it's highest for a fair while.

What area are you looking at going to?
My brotyher-in-law is living in Bangkok at the moment but I think we'll be decamping to somewhere with a beach after a few days as we're taking the kids :girl::girl:

Any recommendations will be grately recieved!

OP
OP
Mark White

Mark White

I think we'll be decamping to somewhere with a beach after a few days as we're taking the kids :girl::girl:

Any recommendations will be grately recieved!

Depends how easy it will be for you to travel, and what you're looking for. A few opinionated observations would be:

Pattaya - bus ride, built up, touristy, partially seedy. Quite expensive.
Koh Si Chang - bus and ferry, quieter, possibly expensive as close to Bangkok
Prachuap Khiri Khan - long bus ride, much less developed, not too touristy
Chaam - long bus ride, somewhat developed, somewhat touristy, but cheaper.
Hua Hin - longer bus ride, developed, popular with expats. Prices reflect this.
Koh Samui - overnight bus and ferry or flight, generally very developed but quiet places can be found, touristy but easy travel and good for families. Full range of prices.
Koh Pha Ngan - overnight bus and ferry, developing but lots of unspoilt beaches, nice mix of chilled backpackers and travelling families. Avoid Haad Rin during the Full Moon Party time. North and west coasts highly recommended. Full range of prices.
Phuket - overnight bus or flight, some areas like Patong exceptionally seedy, outlying islands can be lovely. Quite expensive.
Koh Phi Phi - ferry from Krabi or Phuket. Touristy but pretty with some great scenery and boat trips. Quite expensive.
Krabi - overnight bus or flight, big area, Ao Nang is fairly developed, but nearby beaches are quiet and nice. West Railay is highly recommended but remote and expensive. Some cheaper resorts.
Koh Lanta - overnight bus or flight and bus, developed at the north like Samui, but chilled in the south like Koh Pha Ngan. Full range of prices.

So now I'm coming across like the Tourist Board of Thailand. So just ask if you want me to add more details on anywhere :-)

MattE72

Depends how easy it will be for you to travel, and what you're looking for. A few opinionated observations would be:

Pattaya - bus ride, built up, touristy, partially seedy. Quite expensive.
Koh Si Chang - bus and ferry, quieter, possibly expensive as close to Bangkok
Prachuap Khiri Khan - long bus ride, much less developed, not too touristy
Chaam - long bus ride, somewhat developed, somewhat touristy, but cheaper.
Hua Hin - longer bus ride, developed, popular with expats. Prices reflect this.
Koh Samui - overnight bus and ferry or flight, generally very developed but quiet places can be found, touristy but easy travel and good for families. Full range of prices.
Koh Pha Ngan - overnight bus and ferry, developing but lots of unspoilt beaches, nice mix of chilled backpackers and travelling families. Avoid Haad Rin during the Full Moon Party time. North and west coasts highly recommended. Full range of prices.
Phuket - overnight bus or flight, some areas like Patong exceptionally seedy, outlying islands can be lovely. Quite expensive.
Koh Phi Phi - ferry from Krabi or Phuket. Touristy but pretty with some great scenery and boat trips. Quite expensive.
Krabi - overnight bus or flight, big area, Ao Nang is fairly developed, but nearby beaches are quiet and nice. West Railay is highly recommended but remote and expensive. Some cheaper resorts.
Koh Lanta - overnight bus or flight and bus, developed at the north like Samui, but chilled in the south like Koh Pha Ngan. Full range of prices.

So now I'm coming across like the Tourist Board of Thailand. So just ask if you want me to add more details on anywhere :-)

Whoa! That's brilliant Mark. That'll give me something to think about. Cheers for that. I appreciate you taking the time to write it all!!

OP
OP
Mark White

Mark White

Whoa! That's brilliant Mark. That'll give me something to think about.

No problem. Drop me a pm if you want to ask anything :smile:

Top Bottom