Greetings from the Highlands [Brora]

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chief Broom

Veteran
Hi folks from a jelly legged newbie ^_^ Up until a month ago I hadnt turned a pedal for thirty years! now im doing about 8-10 miles a day. My bike is a retro hybrid which weighs a ton and kitted out with mud guards/rack etc It has high tech rim brakes which very cleverly incorporated a on/off squealing function to warn pedestrians/cows of my approach on the single track roads ^_^ Today i put on some panniers so i can carry a few tools/inner tube/pump and can now sail off into the blue yonder and most likely get back again. I will upgrade at some point but for the moment im happy with my wheels. Ive been on a learning curve and still am so as theres a wealth of knowledge here be prepared for lots of stupid questions from a newbie !^_^ Cheers CB

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Was in Brora a couple of weeks ago, great icecream shop (Cappaldi's?) and only a days cycling from John o' Groats :okay:

OP
OP
Chief Broom

Chief Broom

Veteran
Thanks for the welcome folks ^_^
Was in Brora a couple of weeks ago, great icecream shop (Cappaldi's?) and only a days cycling from John o' Groats :okay:
Yes it is Cappaldi's- they have a very good rep and theres often a long queue outside the shop.

My wheels, think i'll upgrade to a Dawes discovery 201 or maybe a Ridgeback comet ^_^ Will keep the Phoenix for when i need to leave it chained up somewhere...if it gets nicked i wont feel like committing hari kari...

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I had an aunt who lived in Brora. her husband worked in the woollen mill.
I wonder how many people know there was the most northerly coal mine in UK? I remember it working.
Apart from the A9 you are a bit limited in routes I think.

OP
OP
Chief Broom

Chief Broom

Veteran
Thanks for the reply oldwheels ^_^
Apart from the A9 you are a bit limited in routes I think.
It may appear so but in actual fact its far more interesting. I could put the bike in the van and start a ride from Bonar bridge or numerous other starting points. Its early days for me and need greater leg strength but when i am fit i'll be spoiled for choice! I can combine a ride with a walk along the sea shore or through woods. I know a great spot for watching otters, i can park the bike and set off with bins/camera have a walk/watch and then ride home. Theres lots of options for riding/walking wild life watching and thats what im in to! ^_^

Attachments

• DSCF6112.JPG
    DSCF6112.JPG
    200.2 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF3195.JPG
    DSCF3195.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF3909.JPG
    DSCF3909.JPG
    221.9 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF5476.JPG
    DSCF5476.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC_1559[1093] (2).JPG
    DSC_1559[1093] (2).JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF6036.JPG
    DSCF6036.JPG
    222.6 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF3927 (2).JPG
    DSCF3927 (2).JPG
    191.9 KB · Views: 7

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:welcome:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

It may appear so but in actual fact its far more interesting. I could put the bike in the van and start a ride from Bonar bridge or numerous other starting points. Its early days for me and need greater leg strength but when i am fit i'll be spoiled for choice! I can combine a ride with a walk along the sea shore or through woods. I know a great spot for watching otters, i can park the bike and set off with bins/camera have a walk/watch and then ride home. Theres lots of options for riding/walking wild life watching and thats what im in to! ^_^
Like @I like Skol said, he (with me and a couple of others) stayed in Brora two weeks ago at the Sutherland Inn. Whilst there are some hills, one of the highlights of our whole Lands End to John O'Groats was the stretch where we turned off at Lybster and went north to Lyth via the Camster Cairns. Spectacular Caithness flow country. We also loved the divert we took off heading N into Dornoch and then out via Loch Fleet where there are loads of seals

oldwheels

Legendary Member

I agree that if you have a van is gives greater scope and it opens up lots of routes. My grandparents had a croft at West Shinness north of Lairg but when I went there the roads were pretty quiet. Latterly there were forestry tracks I used off the Altnaharra road and I also took trips up to the north coast from Altnaharra.
Since the advent of NC 500 I have avoided the area.
I used to lunch often at the Falls of Shin when Harrods had it. Apple pie with real cream was a real treat. It was a change to find real cream being served and not some synthetic rubbish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chief Broom

Chief Broom

Veteran
Since the advent of NC 500 I have avoided the area.
I used to lunch often at the Falls of Shin when Harrods had it. Apple pie with real cream was a real treat. It was a change to find real cream being served and not some synthetic rubbish.
Sorry that youve avoided the area....but you are right the rise of the 'NC500' mind set has been disastrous for the Highlands. Littering/vandalism/human waste/ and destruction of a peaceful and beautiful environment....:sad: I hope the main offenders will ****er off abroad when travel is possible. Cheers CB

Top Bottom