Greetings from Walsall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi there, Another new to the world of fitness (pain and suffering) here from Walsall. Am actually from South Wales but have lived in Walsall for just over a year now and having turned to 15st of blubber thought it best to actually do something about it :wacko:

My girlfriend who is still in Wales at the mo actually trains every day and used to be in a tri club in warwick in her uni days decided I needed to take up cycling again as I used to do a lot of MTB riding back home. So a trip to decathlon and £500 later i have a Triban 3 + turbo trainer and a load of bits to go with. Just need a heart that doesnt try to explode and some better legs now and Im on my way.

Not actually gone very far at all on the road yet due to work being 12hr days/nights but try to do 30-60min on trainer a day. Hoping to take bike with me back to south wales in a week so SHMBO can beat the crap out of me on some BIG hills.

Have to say My plan was that in the new year I would cycle to work just the other side of brum uni and part of my route would take me up Broadway and im reallllllly not looking forward to taking that on so good on you Marshmella and Mrbadexample as I think Ill die when Its my turn.

OP
OP
mrbadexample

mrbadexample

Not actually gone very far at all on the road yet due to work being 12hr days/nights but try to do 30-60min on trainer a day. Hoping to take bike with me back to south wales in a week so SHMBO can beat the crap out of me on some BIG hills.

Have to say My plan was that in the new year I would cycle to work just the other side of brum uni and part of my route would take me up Broadway and im reallllllly not looking forward to taking that on so good on you Marshmella and Mrbadexample as I think Ill die when Its my turn.

Welcome. :smile: My old mate Jim (ex-Tredegar) used to tell me that they're mountains mate, not hills. ;)

Commute to Brum Uni would be a decent slog, I reckon. Let us know how you get on. :smile:

kedab

Veteran
:welcome: - you'll find all you need here and more that you don't - this is my first port of call for cycling amusement and advice...speaking of which, i notice (and no doubt suffered the same when getting back on a bike last year), that many adults getting back on 2 wheels suffer with the 'struggle to look over my shoulder without a wobble' problem...if i need to see exactly what's occurring behind me, this is what i do:

quick check of the road ahead to make sure i'm not about to roll over a grate or into other traffic or obstacles. stop pedaling. sit up, grab the back of the saddle with my right hand. turn my hips and shift my butt round at the same time as looking round.

this is just something i seem to have developed over the past year and it works for me and it prevents the wobble. the more you ride, the more you'll figure out what works best for you and in traffic, your senses and a quick turn of your head will tell you what you need to know about what's happening behind you, in no time at all.

Well the girlfriend took me on a short and easy 10.5miles according to her and I averaged 14mph with some decent up hills and a nice 25mph sprint along the Swansea front. Took 45min but had a 5 min chat (rest for me hehe) Felt good on the bike and easy to handle but I'm getting cramp in my hands on the hoods. I've already put a short stem on but I find if I move my hands back just a little so my palms rest just on the curve of the bars its more comfy. I'm not sure its the bike being to big though as I don't get any back or neck pain while on the bike. (I suffer neck and shoulder pain every day but not on this bike for some reason)
I really enjoyed my self even though it was raining and I'm looking to go out again asap so that can't be a bad thing.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Another hello from Walsall!

Heres something to get you thinking... the strava section up barr beacon! Im currently in 22nd :-(

http://app.strava.com/segments/1296882

Seriously though... its a bit of a tough climb. I used it as a benchmark ride. First few times I would get so far and turn back, then do it in sections untill I got to the crossroads at the top. (I was doing it on a carrera kraken mountain bike at the time). When I could get all the way up the climb and then do that short sharp section up to the top of the beacon I knew I was ready for a road bike.

OP
OP
mrbadexample

mrbadexample

Hi Paul...funny you should mention the Barr Beacon climb - I did it yesterday (slowly!) as part of a 14 mile loop. I went all the way up from the Broadway, past the garden centre, up the hill and over the other side to the roundabout, then right along Aldridge Road. I posted about it in my motivational thread here.

My legs ache a little bit today. :laugh:

Top Bottom