Gritting of cycle paths!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Good news for me, my two most frequently used cycle paths are going to be gritted! (Ring road and Bristol and Bath cycle path).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-34894385

image.jpg

Let's hope other councils will do the same!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I've asked the question about the Leeds section of the Leeds / Bradford Cycle Super Highway (CSH) and not managed to get an answer from anyone.
However, as Leeds City Council have a policy of not gritting footpaths outside the immediate city centre and much of the route is shared space (footpaths) plus I've never seen a cycle lane purposely gritted / cleared in previous winters I guess I know what is likely to happen.
It seems a bit ridiculous that £29 million is being spent on the great wandering scheme yet it seems likely to be out of action for a good part of the winter...

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Last winter there was a day of bad black ice with several ambulances needed. I remember reading somewhere that one of the local councils said they would grit when it snowed, problem is a lot fewer cycle then and those who do are more cautious and potentially prepared with spiked tyres, whereas on the black ice days it's often too late by the time you realise.

ChrisEyles

Guru
The cycle routes around our way are death traps when the temperature drops below zero! Mind you, so are a lot of the back country roads I normally cycle on. It doesn't help that I often commute into work rather early in the morning, when there's still a lot of ice around.... I had a few offs last year, and am not best please with all the predictions that the coming winter will be much colder than last year's!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The cycle routes around our way are death traps when the temperature drops below zero! Mind you, so are a lot of the back country roads I normally cycle on. It doesn't help that I often commute into work rather early in the morning, when there's still a lot of ice around.... I had a few offs last year, and am not best please with all the predictions that the coming winter will be much colder than last year's!
Switching to the mtb soon, at least the bar shape means the brifters don't get twatted and the pedals are single sided so i can ride unclipped if its really dodgy.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A long stretch of the C2C path in County Durham was tarmacked a few years ago.

Great, but it's never gritted so can be lethal in icy conditions.

The previous cinder/gravel track was harder to cycle on, but it least it didn't tend to freeze.

Which proves, if nothing else, there's always something to moan about when you are a cyclist.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Norwich stole Norfolk's cycleway grit! "Following discussions with Norwich Forum, it has been established that cyclists who tend to use off road cycleways are likely to use gritted roads during heavy snow periods. Policy is now to treat cycleways as resources permit, having first established reasonable conditions in clearing priority roads and footways." (Norfolk Transport Asset Management Plan 2013-2018)

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/dumbass-lcc-bike-lane-on-stratford-high-street.142505/post-3321777 says Cambridge's cycle track gritter was unused because they had no-one trained to drive it.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Never seen a cycle path gritted up here, would be nice if they did but can't see it happening.
Not going to happen here either.
Studded tyres were my best cycling investment ever, but I feel for those that don't know about them or can't afford them, or fit them on their bikes.
Mind, trying to walk on ice is no picnic either, I had a pedestrian off last year :laugh:

donnydave

Über Member
Seems to be the general consensus from many areas that this winter is going to be quite harsh. My strategy to cope this year is to go on holiday somewhere warm for 5 weeks over Christmas/new year ^_^^_^^_^:sun::sun::heat:

subaqua

What’s the point
CS's in London get feck all.

it took 2 days of calls to Newham , Tower Hamlets and TfL to get the lane at Bow roundabout cleared of snow in 2013. because each organistaion denied they were responsible for that bit of lane.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well there wasn't any sign of grit this morning (apart from on the roads), though although it was below zero it wasn't slippery. Took me a while to build up my confidence though.... I might have to dig out the spiked tyres and put them on the spare bike!!! (I hate doing it too early in case I have to ride it when it isn't icy).

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
No chance up here..
they can hardly do the main roads...
pavements can be an afterthought..
Its all categorised....(or depends where you live)

Top Bottom