Gritting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adds21

Rider of bikes
Anyone have any idea why Somerset Council would decide to grit the roads yesterday afternoon?!

I was cycling up Burrington Combe, and passed a gritting lorry speading grit on the road in the early afternoon. It was pretty windy, so all that happened is the grit was blown away within a couple of miles, most of it into my eyes.

And they wonder why they run out over winter...

Globalti

Legendary Member
The tar was melting, I expect.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Its a cunning plan to save money.Rather than pay overtime to get all the grit spread during Dcember and January,now they spread a little each month and dont need to pay any overtime rates.

GrasB

Veteran
Does the budget next year depend on the previous years spend? If so they need to spend their budget on salting so they get the same budget again.

Matthames

Über Member
During a heatwave alert the gritting lorries go out to dress the roads with grit to prevent damage to both road and tyres due to the roads melting.

My guess is that the council have received a heatwave warning from the met office and decided to dress the roads in good time.

OP
OP
adds21

adds21

Rider of bikes
addictfreak said:
You could always ring them and ask!

I have... well, I've emailed them.

I live on a one way street. Sunday before last i got to the end of the road and they'd gritted across the end !!! Had to pick grit off and stopped twice as a few stray sticky patches on the tyre picked up grit randomly scattered down the next street by cars ;)

hotmetal

Wow, you learn something new every day! I never heard of gritting in hot weather before. They don't even do it when it snows round here, judging by last winter. I shall put that in the back of my head as an 'observation link', as they call it in advanced motoring. As in "smell of fresh manure, be prepared for horses round next bend", so now it's "hot day, watch out for loose surfaces adn/or gritting lorries".

Top Bottom