Groenewegen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I did read it. And what I took from it is that the ban is lengthy due to the result of the crash, rather than the severity of the movement.
Despite it explicitly saying twice stuff like "you might have a view but until we get to read the reasoned decision everyone is left offering their cent’s, penny’s, centime’s and centavo‘s view which is noise", you took the opposite?

SWSteve

Guru
Despite it explicitly saying twice stuff like "you might have a view but until we get to read the reasoned decision everyone is left offering their cent’s, penny’s, centime’s and centavo‘s view which is noise", you took the opposite?

My view is that he is being punished for the result of the movement, rather than the movement itself. As there a ‘reasoned decision’ being provided to show why they decided to pick a 9 month ban helps to assure my view.
The severity of the injuries were not entirely the fault of Groenewegen, and that should not be forgotten whilst trying to apportion blame. Groenewegen should only be assessed for his movement, not the result of the movement combined with the factors which were out of his control (but within the control of the organisers, and regulatory body) such as a downhill finish and barriers which were evidently not secure should there be a crash which leads to contact with them.

I take your point that until the decision has been published we are all responding to press articles and editorial and we should await the UCI’s decision, but I can still believe that so far all blame seems to be laying at the door of Groenewegen which I believe to be wrong.

bitsandbobs

Über Member
Fabio Jakobsen posted a piccie on his IG feed today. The first shot of his face since the crash i think.

He looks pretty good all things considered.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Why are Quick Step suing? Surely they have insurance against riders beingn injured and losing performance/covering pay as a result? It’s standard in football and rugby...
...so it’s the insurers who are suing. Brilliant
Yes I expect it will be the insurer suing. They insure the rider but if there is a route to recoup some money from a liable third party then they will.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm glad that I missed that crash! And of course, that Jakobsen seems to be making a good recovery.

There have been some horrible crashes (some fatal) in races that I had been following but I usually watch recorded coverage so I hear about them in advance and avoid watching them.

I did see a few crazy Abdoujaparov sprints, including his crash in the 1991 TdF. Oh, and that famous one that took out Jalabert when the dumb cop stood in front of the sprint to take photos! :eek::wacko:

Amazing.
(And he's only 24!!)

I think that's sad but quite inconsequential at this stage. Of course more detail may come out later - or of course not, if legal action follows (which I think is vv likely to be honest. After all, he has a very strong claim, and sounded keen in that interview around Christmas)

Meanwhile, great to see Fabio is back in races. His results in
suggest he has NO INTEREST in sprint finishes just yet! Seems very wise, just get used to riding in a bunch and see how your legs are. Good luck Fabio!
(And Dylan, have a think before you next go near a microphone or keyboard.)

Top Bottom