Group VS Solo...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Are those internet speeds that are being quoted? the answer maybe yes or no but drafting certainly saves energy.

Edwards80

Über Member
Rob is spot on. It's no so much riding faster, it's much easier to save energy/recover. In a group you can nip onto a wheel and "recover" at 20mph where as you would be cruising at a much lower speed on your own.

Unfortunately the effect is not the same going up hills :cursing: (Although you'll still probably ride a bit quicker than usual thanks to the "ego" effect :smile: )

Apologises for what may be a dumb question but what are 'internet speeds' ?

It's not unlike the metric (SI) system, but all data are quoted in imperial units and then squared before being divided by the inverse of the speed of the object travelling along the reciprocal arc of the untoward metabolic particle, weighted as one would any normal racing pigeon or similar.

If done correctly, the total is usually either 12.7 or some other (not in any way similar) figure.

Quoted in Miles per Hour or the nearest metric equivalent.

OP
OP
C

Chescadence

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Pretty conclusive, lots of energy saved from working in a group along with greater averages. It seems that attaining x number of miles and x average speed is made much easier by the saving of energy by working within a group than riding alone.

I must consider joining a club; I feel like my riding would really benefit; not only with the above but from the advice from members etc.

C

Steve H

Large Member
I was on a century ride the other weekend and I was riding with a couple of guys who were both stronger than I was. I would normally ride this distance at around 13-14 mph on this flattish course. On this day I averaged around 16.5mph, so a good couple of mph faster over a considerable distance. Now to be fair, my turns on the front were a lot shorter than theirs and I did a lot of wheel sucking and I was stretching myself to stay on a lot of the time.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I enjoy riding with others. I've been out with mates in the past but only with GF now as I don't know anyone where I live. I went out with a local club, once, last year but wasn't impressed with being dropped on every incline then I only caught up by really working my sphericals off on the flat and downhill. I'll not be going out with them again :angry:.

If I could find a like minded individual (or group) I'd love to go out together but not to be left behind regularly. I haven't got the most modern bike, or lightest. It's a steel 1982 frame and 1980's equipped, weighs 13Kg but I'm fairly fit (or will be when I get out again in improved light/weather after work) :whistle:.

I don't want a club but would love some folks to go out with who don't make me to feel unwanted and inadequate as the the club riders did, because I wasn't on carbon (that I can't afford).

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I enjoy riding with others. I've been out with mates in the past but only with GF now as I don't know anyone where I live. I went out with a local club, once, last year but wasn't impressed with being dropped on every incline then I only caught up by really working my sphericals off on the flat and downhill. I'll not be going out with them again :angry:.

If I could find a like minded individual (or group) I'd love to go out together but not to be left behind regularly. I haven't got the most modern bike, or lightest. It's a steel 1982 frame and 1980's equipped, weighs 13Kg but I'm fairly fit (or will be when I get out again in improved light/weather after work) :whistle:.

I don't want a club but would love some folks to go out with who don't make me to feel unwanted and inadequate as the the club riders did, because I wasn't on carbon (that I can't afford).

I don't know which club you had this experience with but it sure is not universal with cycling clubs.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I hope it isn't.
I've just been looking at my SportsTracker record of the ride. I'm not that impressed with the speed figures as I was usually riding at similar pace like this. I was having to brake to stop running into the back of folks on downhill/freewheel sections (I had more weight to help me rolling downhill).

Is there anyone close to me, LE67 postcode, up for rides out?

screenman

Legendary Member
You might have been in the right club but with the wrong group, most clubs have a 14mph a 16mph and a faster group. Ego dictates some people go out with the wrong one at times.

Mapster1989

I do both solo rides and group rides at the weekend and to be honest I'm pretty new to the group riding but it does make a big difference.

The first thing that I notice is you can travel for miles and not even notice because you're a) chatting away with other riders and b) transfixed onto the guy infront of you trying to maintain the gap.

It certainly pulls you along and when you start to struggle you dig deep so as to not get dropped. When I'm riding solo I can find it hard to maintain a constant speed if my legs start to tire.

So in answer to the OP's question... Yes. Riding in a group can make you 2mph faster.

Top Bottom