Grr - p*ncture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
my short sight isn't good for roadside fixes anymore so i carry two tubes at all times (in theory) and patch them in the comfort of the kitchen

two in and three spare, one of the five is into double figures patches

it's the sensible solution I think, you get to patch and you;re safe from roadside disasters, safer anyway

Wolf04 said:
Hackers, I've just spent a minute of my life trying to squash your avatar!!!!
:ohmy::blush::biggrin:

;):biggrin:

Whilst out today I developed a slow puncture in the front tyre. I pumped it up enough to get me home, and when I had a look I could find nothing. Dunking the tube in water revealed a microscopic hole, which I patched. I immersed it again, just to check it was OK, and found to my surprise two further tiny holes near to the patch which was holding well. The rim tape is excellent, and I could find nothing on either the inner, or outer surfaces of the tyre. All three holes were precisely on a seam. The bike is brand new and only ridden about twenty miles.

The tubes are Hutchinson - a brand I've never used before - do they have a good reputation for quality control?

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
OK, I couldn't find anything in the tyre, and the rim and spokes feel fine. No holes in the rim tape. I reapplied a patch, reinflated, and it deflated almost immediately. I took the tube off, and the patch had bulged out in a bubble.

So I think the patches were crap.

Can someone recommend a good repair kit?

NigC

My cheap Halfords repair kit has done the job for me - 4 punctures, 4 repairs.

What failed me was a stupid pump that, no doubt due to my heavy-handedness, has twice ripped the valve off the inner tube while trying to inflate it :ohmy:

kennykool

I have tried patching tubes before but cant seem to do it. There for if I get a puncture. I just put a new tube in and chuck the burst one away.

Dad works for Michelin so i have access to unlimited number of innertubes! saves time, energy and money :ohmy:

dondare

Über Member
benb said:
OK, I couldn't find anything in the tyre, and the rim and spokes feel fine. No holes in the rim tape. I reapplied a patch, reinflated, and it deflated almost immediately. I took the tube off, and the patch had bulged out in a bubble.

So I think the patches were crap.

Can someone recommend a good repair kit?
I used to use Cure-C-Cure. Back in the days when I had punctures.

The really traditional way is to cut up an old inner-tube to make your own patches.
I'd like someone to try superglue and tell me if that works.

dondare

Über Member
xpc316e said:
Whilst out today I developed a slow puncture in the front tyre. I pumped it up enough to get me home, and when I had a look I could find nothing. Dunking the tube in water revealed a microscopic hole, which I patched. I immersed it again, just to check it was OK, and found to my surprise two further tiny holes near to the patch which was holding well. The rim tape is excellent, and I could find nothing on either the inner, or outer surfaces of the tyre. All three holes were precisely on a seam. The bike is brand new and only ridden about twenty miles.

The tubes are Hutchinson - a brand I've never used before - do they have a good reputation for quality control?

I would've expected Hutchinson to be trustworthy. But not now you've told me that.

nigelb

Tesco are doing 3 repair kits for a quid.

Rubber solution seems fine, patches too, and that way you can afford to have a fresh kit ready for use :-)

Btw, what is it with the plastic facing on patches?
I can get the patch off the foil fine, but whenever I try to get the plastic off the front, I end up starting to lift the patch!
Always had this problem, last one I left the plastic on!

Nige

dondare

Über Member
nigelb said:
Btw, what is it with the plastic facing on patches?
I can get the patch off the foil fine, but whenever I try to get the plastic off the front, I end up starting to lift the patch!
Always had this problem, last one I left the plastic on!

Nige

Used to have the same problem, so just left the film on. Praps you're sposed to.

Top Bottom