Grrrrr!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PBancroft

I've just had a classic this morning, from a colleague who often has strong opinions. Pretty much the first thing she said (after asking how I enjoyed my tour this past weekend, which is kind of ironic considering what followed) was how she nearly "took out" two cyclists on the way in. Apparently they were slowing her down.

Another colleague pointed out that she should treat cyclists like all other road users. Here came the classic...

But if cyclists don't pay road tax they shouldn't be on the road. If they did, I wouldn't mind so much, but they just don't.

I spent a couple of minutes trying to explain Vehicle Excise Duty and where the money goes, all to no avail. When I mentioned that council tax pays for the roads, I opened up a whole can of trouble.

That's even worse, because most cyclists live at home and they don't pay council tax

I pretty much stopped there. She also brought up the guy from the CTC who said that cyclists jump red lights to stay safe and used it as evidence to suggest we all do (I don't).

How do other people handle stuff like that?

Cab

Kaipaith said:

Persistence. Tell 'em that they're speaking out of their arse, and remind them that cyclists are, on average, higher earners paying more tax than motorists; if they want to engage in a real discussion from that point then fine, if not, then find the road they're driving down and ride down it in front of them eight inches inside the central white line.

yello

She's pissed off. No amount of reason will placate or re-educate her, she just wants to be angry, so forget it for today. When she's calmed down, and more receptive, just mention stuff by way of conversation.

Kaipaith said:
I've just had a classic this morning, from a colleague who often has strong opinions. Pretty much the first thing she said (after asking how I enjoyed my tour this past weekend, which is kind of ironic considering what followed) was how she nearly "took out" two cyclists on the way in. Apparently they were slowing her down.

Another colleague pointed out that she should treat cyclists like all other road users. Here came the classic...

I spent a couple of minutes trying to explain Vehicle Excise Duty and where the money goes, all to no avail. When I mentioned that council tax pays for the roads, I opened up a whole can of trouble.

I pretty much stopped there. She also brought up the guy from the CTC who said that cyclists jump red lights to stay safe and used it as evidence to suggest we all do (I don't).

Do as you do and blind them with the truth. Remember a recent study (I don't have the reference, does anyone else?) showed that cyclists on average earn more than non-cyclists, so in fact we probably pay more tax in general than non-cyclists. You can also point out that cars/buses/lorries etc damage the roads, bikes don't.

Most importantly though, you should point out that cyclists have children/husbands/wives/mums/dads..... and have as much right to life as any motorist does, therefore, by endangering them, as she has admitted, is selfish and downright deplorable! :thumbsdown:

That should do it! :blush:

I've had the same conversation many times. So many motorists think this way, maybe even most motorists. It needs to be recognised that this perception of cyclists as parasites feeding off the taxes of motorists is a major problem. It's the reason we are treated with such contempt on the road and by policy makers. I know of at least one local authority cycling officer who thinks this way!

Perhaps we should take this seriously and start a dedicated thread where we assemble all the relevant facts and figures with the aim of eventually producing a printable document which blows away these myths.

mickle said:
I've had the same conversation many times. So many motorists think this way, maybe even most motorists. It needs to be recognised that this perception of cyclists as parasites feeding off the taxes of motorists is a major problem. It's the reason we are treated with such contempt on the road and by policy makers. I know of at least one local authority cycling officer who thinks this way!

Perhaps we should take this seriously and start a dedicated thread where we assemble all the relevant facts and figures with the aim of eventually producing a printable document which blows away these myths.

Good idea, Mickle, time for a sticky! (Myths and rebuttals?)

Perry

mickle said:

Yep, I agree!

Keith Oates

Janner
No matter what you say if someone perceives that you are holding them up on the road then no logical argument will make them change their view!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cannondale boy

Über Member
I get the odd comment at work by saying "you held me up this morning by heading into work" (by what? a mere 10 seconds). It's pathetic just because we don't pay VED we are the outsiders on the road...Its bleedin obvious that we don't damage the road in any way or form, so no money has to be funded in maintaining the roads (thats if it was just us cyclists on the road). It's to complex to introduce a VED for cyclists and will never happen!

OP
OP
PBancroft

PBancroft

mickle said:

Good idea.

I must confess that I have since spoken to her again, and things have calmed down somewhat. It turns out that a lot of what she didn't like was that there is a "perfectly good" cycle path nearby which the cyclists weren't using.

Personally I do use cycle paths when I can, but the one in question I don't because it doesn't lead anywhere I want to go to. I hypothesised that many are kept in a poor condition (unlike most roads which are swept) and broken glass, parked cars, and pedestrians can be a bit of a nightmare for cyclists.

She said she understood, and hadn't really appreciated why cyclists don't always use the facilities.

cannondale boy said:
I get the odd comment at work by saying "you held me up this morning by heading into work" (by what? a mere 10 seconds). It's pathetic just because we don't pay VED we are the outsiders on the road...Its bleedin obvious that we don't damage the road in any way or form, so no money has to be funded in maintaining the roads (thats if it was just us cyclists on the road). It's to complex to introduce a VED for cyclists and will never happen!

You need to remind you colleagues that each bike on the road is one less car in the queue in front of them, on the way to work.....:smile:

Kaipaith said:
Good idea.

I must confess that I have since spoken to her again, and things have calmed down somewhat. It turns out that a lot of what she didn't like was that there is a "perfectly good" cycle path nearby which the cyclists weren't using.

Personally I do use cycle paths when I can, but the one in question I don't because it doesn't lead anywhere I want to go to. I hypothesised that many are kept in a poor condition (unlike most roads which are swept) and broken glass, parked cars, and pedestrians can be a bit of a nightmare for cyclists.

She said she understood, and hadn't really appreciated why cyclists don't always use the facilities.

Point her here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.meg/wcc/facility-of-the-month/index.htm

When she says we don't pay road tax say what you did, or that most of us have cars that are sitting on the drive not wearing out the road, or that VED is emissions based, or tell her to shut up.

When she says that most cyclists don't pay Council Tax just tell he to shut up.

When she says that the CTC bloke said some cyclists RLJ to stay safe and that's rubbish, tell her that she might have a point. Or tell her to shut up.

There seems to be a common theme emerging there.

Top Bottom