Grumble, moan, grumble, grumble...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattobrien

Guru
I just received a call from someone representing a major development charity. They said they needed to check that I was happy to speak to them as I was registered with the TPS.

For anyone who doesn't know, the TPS is the telephone preference service and is supposed to stop you receiving unwanted calls from people wanting to sell or market to you.

My gripe was that if they can see I am on the TPS, what business do they have calling me in the first place :angry::angry::angry:

I have asked not too be called, they have that information yet they decided to call anyway. Grrrr

Credit to the chap on the phone he was polite, as was I, and when I explained there was a reason I was on the TPS he asked if I wold like to be taken off the calling list. My grumble comes from the fact they called in the first place.

If I didn't suffer from apathy, I would be in half a mind to complaint to the TPS and aid large development charity :whistle:

Moan over.

p.s. this was not a rant, hence that non sweary nature ^_^

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
......... and breathe

ASC1951

Guru
...If I didn't suffer from apathy, I would be in half a mind to complaint to the TPS...:whistle:
I think you should. Charity or not, it is against the law for them to ring a TPS registered number and they are as much of an effing nuisance as the PPI weasels.
Like most of us, I expect that you make your own charitable donations after careful thought and don't need to be mugged by some huge outfit which can afford to spend money on telesales.
Do it here https://complaints.tpsonline.org.uk/Consumer/
Now.

sazzaa

I get calls every week at my work from people trying to sell something, I stop them after a few words and say I'm registered with TPS and to take our number off their list, apparently they're obliged to do so by law if you ask them to. You get the odd prick who'll try and argue that he's not technically selling anything so I tell them where to go and hang up.

byegad

Legendary Member
I've been registered with TPS for many years and am no longer polite to callers. I start abrupt and unwelcoming and rapidly descend into rude, downright insulting then aggressive. IF they persist with the call. A cold caller's best tactic for a good end to the call is to apologise, promise to take me off their stupid list and ring off, fast!
My home portable phone blocks international and unknown numbers and I can add a number of known numbers to the block. This stops almost all unwanted calls but I can still see if anyone had called on the screen of the phone. This morning at 3.45am there was an international call blocked. You can imagine how well that would have gone!

K9 Block

I get frequent PPI calls to my mobile :sad:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I often make all innocent and ask for their company details, as I am aware that there are a lot of scam calls and I know that no reputable firm would call me as I am registered with the TP .... bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :ohmy:

Strange that, they sounded so earnest and genuine ... apart from their 'english' names and Indian accents ... :whistle:

alicat

Legendary Member
I ask them all sorts of questions that don't fit in their script. It usually takes only a couple of questions before they hang up.

Schmilliemoo

Wax on, wax off...
I just received a call from someone representing a major development charity. They said they needed to check that I was happy to speak to them as I was registered with the TPS.

For anyone who doesn't know, the TPS is the telephone preference service and is supposed to stop you receiving unwanted calls from people wanting to sell or market to you.

My gripe was that if they can see I am on the TPS, what business do they have calling me in the first place :angry::angry::angry:

I have asked not too be called, they have that information yet they decided to call anyway. Grrrr

Credit to the chap on the phone he was polite, as was I, and when I explained there was a reason I was on the TPS he asked if I wold like to be taken off the calling list. My grumble comes from the fact they called in the first place.

If I didn't suffer from apathy, I would be in half a mind to complaint to the TPS and aid large development charity :whistle:

Moan over.

p.s. this was not a rant, hence that non sweary nature ^_^

Lolling at the irony. An air hostess once woke me up to ask if I wanted a pillow, this reminds me of that.

Once you request that a firm stop using your details they are obliged under the data protection act so to do. Once you quote this at them they generally leave you alone. The penalties for not doing are actually surprisingly severe (at their harshest)

Top Bottom