Gryo?

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking, Trials and BMX' started by confusedcyclist, 11 Jan 2018.

1. confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist Über Member

I was helping my brother in law put together a cheapo BMX for my nephew and it had a weird disc mechanism wrapped around the stem/steerer tube. The brake cables ran to it, terminated, and then a new set of cables run to the rear brake. It appears this 'plate mechanism' acts as an intermediary for pulling the cable. We couldn't get the brakes to function correctly with it, so we bypassed it and used cable ties to run cable outer to the rear brake along the top tube.

What is this mechanism for? Having only worked with mountain bikes and road bikes, it's not something I have come across before. Googling it comes up with something called a gyro plate. What function does it serve?

2. OP
    OP
    confusedcyclist

So I need to work on my google fu, I rephrased my search and came up with the answer, it's so that bars can rotate 360 degrees without tangling. Doh. Well, I think the bypass was still a good idea as nephew won't be getting much air at 8, and the brakes were totally ineffective.

meta lon, raleighnut and Jody like this.
  3. Rooster1

Rooster1 I was right about that saddle

I fitted one for my son on a BMX, it's a clever system. You can buy a kit like this

meta lon likes this.
  4. meta lon

meta lon Guru

If it's what I think you mean its to allow the bars to spin 360° so the cable don' snag..

As above link..and you sussed it :okay:

5. roadrash

roadrash cycle chatterer

as above but the brakes should work just as well using the supplied method/ system ,

6. OP
    OP
    confusedcyclist

There seemed to be a lot of slack in the mechanism. Probably crappy components as it was a cheap supermarket bicycle. Didn't have all day to mess with it, as BIL had to get home.

roadrash likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice