Gryo?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was helping my brother in law put together a cheapo BMX for my nephew and it had a weird disc mechanism wrapped around the stem/steerer tube. The brake cables ran to it, terminated, and then a new set of cables run to the rear brake. It appears this 'plate mechanism' acts as an intermediary for pulling the cable. We couldn't get the brakes to function correctly with it, so we bypassed it and used cable ties to run cable outer to the rear brake along the top tube.

What is this mechanism for? Having only worked with mountain bikes and road bikes, it's not something I have come across before. Googling it comes up with something called a gyro plate. What function does it serve?

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
So I need to work on my google fu, I rephrased my search and came up with the answer, it's so that bars can rotate 360 degrees without tangling. Doh. Well, I think the bypass was still a good idea as nephew won't be getting much air at 8, and the brakes were totally ineffective.

Levo-Lon

Guru
If it's what I think you mean its to allow the bars to spin 360° so the cable don' snag..

As above link..and you sussed it :okay:

Top Bottom