GT Frame Zaskar, is it real?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ade234uk

I am currently selling my old mountain bike on Ebay. The bike was a mismatch of parts handed down to me by my friend.

I'm not selling anything here, I just need some help to check the validity of a frame for me. I don't want some unlucky buyer to get a fake frame. The bike and frame is old, got be 15 years old+

The frame has the following features:

There is a GT Logo stamped on the frame by the Saddle
There is a serial number stamped at the bottom of the rear forks 09935711
Sticker on Frame reads Heat Treated Aluminimum 6060-T6

I have some pictures here which show the welds, sticker and serial number
http://www.lcpc-it-services.co.uk/ebay/bikeframe/

Many Thanks

Cubist

Still wavin'
There are a few Zaskar owners on here who will probably be able to confirm, @I like Skol springs immediately to mind, but Retrobike would be my first choice to ask. Have you tried there? Is there any reason why you think the frame isn't genuine? GT design would be a strange design to try and copy.

Jody

Stubborn git
Think it was around 94ish they released that colour zaskar. Looks genuine to me as the zaskar had a lot of extra bits welded for strength.

OP
OP
A

ade234uk

Think it was around 94ish they released that colour zaskar. Looks genuine to me as the zaskar had a lot of extra bits welded for strength.

Thanks for confirming this. I also did a bit of digging myself and I did see another GT with this same colour as mine. Didn't realise I had such a good frame.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have some good close-up pics of the rear drop out area from my 1994 Zaskar LE that I will post up when I get time in the next 24hrs. I think the biggest worry would be not that it is a fake GT frame but more that someone has passed off a lower spec GT ali frame as the USA built Zaskar.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Comparing your frame to mine I would say it is probably genuine. The only obvious difference I can see is the rear dropouts but this could just be a change that occurred between years?
upload_2014-4-27_15-7-18.png

Some good pictures of my bike in THIS THREAD if you want do further comparisons.

yellowmonkey

Hello all.

I found a frame on ebay and i interested is it a real or fake Zaskar LE ?
here is the link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GT-Zaskar-LE-Frame-/231508660470?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35e6fdd0f6
Thanks very much.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Hello all.

I found a frame on ebay and i interested is it a real or fake Zaskar LE ?
here is the link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GT-Zaskar-LE-Frame-/231508660470?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35e6fdd0f6
Thanks very much.
Looks pretty straight to me but I would guess it is a couple of years newer than my 1994 as it has the machined head tube and those rear drop outs are a bit different (although the gear hanger looks the same).

The 16 stamped in the frame near the frame number would indicate a 16" frame which is pretty damn small. Make sure it fits you or it could be an expensive mistake.

yellowmonkey

Looks pretty straight to me but I would guess it is a couple of years newer than my 1994 as it has the machined head tube and those rear drop outs are a bit different (although the gear hanger looks the same).

The 16 stamped in the frame near the frame number would indicate a 16" frame which is pretty damn small. Make sure it fits you or it could be an expensive mistake.

Thank you. Well i saw the 16 number on the frame, but the seller wrote and showed on the photo the frame is bigger (18").(I am 173cm tall, so a 18" frame is might be right for me) Now i am a litte bit confused.The frame number says the frame is 98'. 1 more thing- I see somethig on the first photo on the chain stay, maybe scratch damage crack.(left from the bottom bracket shell) What do you think ?
Is the GT stamp on the end of top tube curved or flat? It needs to be flat I think.
the end of the top tube is flat

Last edited:

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I'm sure only the Zaskar has the flat cap on the top tube. I think the LE was slightly lighter? A sort of limited edition. It is hard to make out what the vertical mark on the chainstay is. It might be where the tube is formed to allow clearance to the chain rings. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on Retrobike who know the Zaskar inside out.

Top Bottom