GT85 on brake disc.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
nmfeb70

nmfeb70

https://www.toolstation.com/holts-brake-cleaner/p43710?searchstr=holts If you have a Toolstation near you, this stuff is very good value.

This is NOT a recommendation, but over the years I've cleaned WD40 off motorcycle tyres with brake cleaner. No ill effects. With anything porous like rubber tyres, brake pads etc, it's usually ok if you do it quickly, but especially with brake pads I'd not even try and clean them if they've had contaminants on them for longer than a few minutes.

Thanks, I have just bought the product and will give it a go.

OP
OP
nmfeb70

nmfeb70

I'll explain more. I am currently riding with a front brake only, the rear brake is hardly having any effect. When I lift the rear wheel off the ground, spin the pedals and then apply the brake, the wheel takes a couple of rotations before coming to a halt.
After riding in wet weather I occasionally spray a little GT85 on the rear derailleur. I suspect the spray has strayed onto the rear disc because the rear pads are gripping the disc but the wheel isn't stopping. I can't imagine worn pads are the problem (the front ones are fine) but is there any other explanation for this other than solvent on the disc? Thanks again.

si_c

Guru
I'll explain more. I am currently riding with a front brake only, the rear brake is hardly having any effect. When I lift the rear wheel off the ground, spin the pedals and then apply the brake, the wheel takes a couple of rotations before coming to a halt.
After riding in wet weather I occasionally spray a little GT85 on the rear derailleur. I suspect the spray has strayed onto the rear disc because the rear pads are gripping the disc but the wheel isn't stopping. I can't imagine worn pads are the problem (the front ones are fine) but is there any other explanation for this other than solvent on the disc? Thanks again.
That's a classic contamination issue. Clean the rotors and pads - if that doesn't fix it, new pads and clean the rotors again. When using spray solvent anywhere near disc brakes I use a plastic bag (the same one!) to cover the caliper and pads - this keeps the risk of contamination down.

Of course I've also contaminated pads by riding through a puddle which had oil/diesel on the surface so it might not be the GT85.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just a side note for the OP. Spray lubes have no place in bicycle maintenance. The only time they get used is when trying to flush crud out of something where the pressure and solvent effect can be quite useful. Even on a derailleur lubrication should be applied as oil with a spot dripped onto each pivot point (there are 8 of them on a typical Shimano parallelogram derailleur).

Top Bottom