Guess who got done?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Cab, I was reading in Cambridge News at the w/e that Tesco have submitted plans to build one of their supermarkets on Mill Rd, where Wilcos is. As if Mill Rd wasn't congested enough...

ejls2

Cab - I can certainly see what you mean!

Maz - Hopefully they won't get the go ahead. There has been a big local petition to stop Tescos from coming onto Mill Road and apparently they've managed to get a huge number of signatures. Hopefully that will sway the opinions of whichever committee decides the issue.

Maz

Guru
ejls2 said:
...Hopefully they won't get the go ahead...
Let's hope so. Lot of independent shops down there, plus there's already a co-op if memory serves me.

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

Maz said:
Cab, I was reading in Cambridge News at the w/e that Tesco have submitted plans to build one of their supermarkets on Mill Rd, where Wilcos is. As if Mill Rd wasn't congested enough...

My understanding is that it'll be a Tesco Local or a Tesco Metro (or whatever they're called). Not something to take trade away from the big supermarkets (which we have plenty of), more a threat to the Co-Op and some of the other retailers on Mill Road. Shouldn't be TOO bad for congestion, but a lot of the shops down there are up in arms against it, and the petition against has quite some momentum.

Whether it'll actually harm the more interesting retailers... Well, maybe, maybe not. The ethnic food shops down there should be fine, all the curiosity type shops and hardware/homeware stuff should be fine, etc. I think the Co-Op would be doomed.

bonj2

Cab said:
Thats where I take issue with what you're saying, and its the only place I really disagree with you strongly. I don't believe that Cambs police really do take motoring infractions seriously, I've never seen nor heard of any motorist here being done for going through a red light or for having dodgy lights. Happens to cyclists though; in itself that should be a good thing, but the way it is handled seems out of proportion to the risk it causes, when compared with policing of motorists.

That's probably 'cos it doesn't make the news. Even in cambridge. :ohmy:

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

bonj said:
That's probably 'cos it doesn't make the news. Even in cambridge. :ohmy:

Yeah, but I can roll off names of loads of people I know who have been stopped by the Police when on their bikes (often for the heinous crime of not having lights when it isn't quite dark yet), and I can't think of anyone I know here stopped or tickeded for, say, overtaking too close, parking in a cycle lane, etc. And theres plenty of that around.

Top Bottom