guess who's back…

which bike

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i've finally got a new job and, more importantly, an 18 mile commute :wahhey:

i tested the route in just over an hour on 'best bike', so add on panniers and using heavier commuting bike, it will take probably an hour and fifteen there and an hour and a half back (it's downhill in, uphill back).

so, my commuting friends, do i spend the dosh on new chain, sprockets and brake blocks/cables on my steel road bike, or ride my trusty old hard-tail mtb with slick tyres and maybe treat it to a lockable fork? i have a halfords near the office should it start misbehaving…

my previous bike commute (not including the 1m one i've been doing recently, which doesn't really count) was five miles, and was easily doable on a road bike with a rucksack. for this longer commute, though, i'm going rack-and-panniers, and i want to arrive without any sort of aches and pains. i might even go the n+1+n-1=n route and get a commuter bike, but i can't help thinking that the mtb is pretty much the one to go for…

Norm

MTB's can be pretty heavy, although road tyres will remove most differences on the flat. However, I do notice my CX bike rolling much more sweetly and securely on tarmac, I put the difference down to the 26x1.5s on the my rigid MTB and the 700x32c on .the CX, although parts and geometry differences throughout the bikes, as well as 20-years of technology, will also be in the CX's favour.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I was commuting on my retro 90's GT Zaskar for about 9 months and with slick 2.1" tyres it was just fine, hardly any slower/harder than my new hybrid or road bike has turned out to be. The only reason I got the hybrid for commuting was that I didn't want to compromise the MTB's off-road capability with a rack and mudgaurds but found they were a neccessity for commuting on anything remotely approaching a regular basis. I suggest you slick up that MTB and go for it and if I were you I wouldn't worry about the sus forks either, mine were not a lock-out model and it never bothered me.

Keith Oates

Janner
Before my recent accident I was using Trek 4300 for a daily commute of 45 Km. I kept the nobblies on but pumped them up to 50 psi and found that It was not so much of a drag and the number of punctures were reduced. I also used a back pack, which does make the back a 'little damp' but was not really a problem, although I also did have a shower and a full change of clothes when I arrived in the office. When I get back on the road, soon I hope, the Mtb will again be back in use for the commute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Congrats.

Oh and Michelin do some wicked slicks for MTB's now - called Wild Run'r for the road.

Where abouts are you working - countryside commute or into a town ?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
None of the above.

you need a new carbon roadie, drop the panniers and take the rucksack.

come on, its the perfect excuse to get one and you know you wanna! you can then ride the old steel or whichever you want and keep the carbon for weekend posing.

If you want a serious suggestion...my commute is almost exactly the same as yours for saddle time. I have the benefit of being able to store plenty of clothes/towels and stuff at the office and ride these all in on a motorcycle whenever i feel i need to...but...I ride an allie roadie and am ashamed to admit that i wouldn't go back to riding my old MTB (slicked or not) for the commute. the roadie feels so much easier and somehow more accurate.

I admit to eating my own words on this issue as i was very faithful to my old MTB for many years.

oh the shame!

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i've priced up repairing the mtb in lbs and it will come to a ton and a bit for a fixed steel fork (the current suspension on is borked) and new drive train. i looked at some new hybriddy bikes, but although nice, new and shiny, weren't noticeably lighter, and i kind of like that old bike even though it's a tatty old mog.

the steel road bike needs chain, cassette, tyres and brake consumables, oh and bar tape. there's a brooks b17 that needs fixing too…

Top Bottom