guide dogs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buggi

Bird Saviour
yesterday, we had guide dogs for the blind visit our work. i put on some glasses that blocked out my vision and the dog took me for a walk.

It was well scarey!!! :biggrin:

i didn't realise how fast they walked. the bloke said people always think the blind walk slow.. not so! you don't say! i was nearly running! they practically pull you along and it was dead scary not being able to see where i was going and having to trust the dog, even tho i had already seen where it was gonna take me!

o yea, and she poo'd on the carpet :rolleyes: but luckily i didn't have to clean it up.

longers

Legendary Member
It's always good to walk (or run) a mile in someone elses shoes. :biggrin:

Have you seen these? http://www.guidehorse.org/

bonj2

buggi said:
i was nearly running! they practically pull you along and it was dead scary not being able to see where i was going and having to trust the dog, even tho i had already seen where it was gonna take me!

Why don't they just have those trainers kids wear that have wheels in them, then they actually could just pull you along. :biggrin:

bonj2

longers said:
It's always good to walk (or run) a mile in someone elses shoes. :biggrin:

Have you seen these? http://www.guidehorse.org/

Guide horse? What's the logic behind that, then?
What does a guide horse do that a normal horse can't?, i.e. why does it even need to know the person on it's blind? Sorry if it's some crucial horse-based concept i'm failing to understand

bonj2

buggi said:
yesterday, we had guide dogs for the blind visit our work. i put on some glasses that blocked out my vision and the dog took me for a walk.

It was well scarey!!! :biggrin:

i didn't realise how fast they walked. the bloke said people always think the blind walk slow.. not so! you don't say! i was nearly running! they practically pull you along and it was dead scary not being able to see where i was going and having to trust the dog, even tho i had already seen where it was gonna take me!

o yea, and she poo'd on the carpet :rolleyes: but luckily i didn't have to clean it up.

so what sort of company do you work for? and what's the benefit to it of doing this exercise.?1

KitsuneAndy

A guy in our office has a Guide Dog and yeah, he's probably the fastest walker in the place :biggrin:

He's one of our programmers, I really want to know how he does the job, but can't bring myself to ask him.

I'm assuming he has some sort of text to voice program and uses headphones. Or something that converts the text on the screen to braille, but I'm not even sure they exist.

bonj2

i've still got a fair few to get through yet...

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
I attended a disability awareness course a few years back and I had to wear the goggle that simulate blindness and a colleague had to walk me round Victoria coach station. Scary ..

bonj2

You'd understand perfectly if you used your noggin for once and just clicked on the link that has been provided for you.
Well I would if it even made sense. It says they're looking for 'legally-blind' people. How can you be illegally blind? What's illegal about being blind?

Ah, so they're mini-horses then, and they don't actually ride them?

What's the advantage over dogs?
Aside from any issues of genetic modification, then it's probably a good idea - as far as horses can be.

yorkshiregoth said:
I attended a disability awareness course a few years back and I had to wear the goggle that simulate blindness and a colleague had to walk me round Victoria coach station. Scary ..

But why is someone paying for this? Who gains?

Big Bren

bonj said:
But why is someone paying for this? Who gains

In the real world, everyone does; raising awareness of disability issues is a way of breaking down barriers and removing stigma and helps disabled people integrate into the workplace. It should also help to stop idiots like you saying things like:

It says they're looking for 'legally-blind' people. How can you be illegally blind? What's illegal about being blind?

Note that I said 'should'.

Bren

Abitrary

Deaf dogs for the blind..
Blind dogs for the deaf

You can emulate any of those situations in the cold light of your home without having people watch you

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
My Uncle is blind, He's just had to give up "Poppsy" as she is past retirement age. He is gutted, the guide dog has been taken off him but she's not dead yet. He gets a new one in three weeks time. But imagine having your dog taken away from you because it was " past its prime".

Luckily for my uncle ( in a way ) the people who have taken Poppsy on live local so he can keep in touch ( he had her for eight years )

Top Bottom