Guide price for selling my restored dawes super galaxy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bluenosemicko

Hi I have a problem. I have restored a wreck into a gem for the purpose of making a few quid ! So using all original dawes super galaxy parts I began 3 years ago tracing and fitting parts as needed ..now its finally done I have no idea how much ti ask for it. See profile pic ....could anyone advise what my beauty could be worth. P.s mudguards and rear luggage rack now fitted

OP
OP
bluenosemicko

bluenosemicko

20140521_173134.jpg
my dawes

sidevalve

Über Member
All depends on what you are expecting. If you have sourced all original parts etc and taken a lot of trouble you may well not get what you hope to break even. If you don't count your labour costs and have obtained parts carefully at good prices then you may do ok.
I was once offered £20 for a fair nick [but oldish] galaxy by a LBS - I laughed in his face and walked out. Depending on age type and fittings you could go from £150 to £450 - may be a bit more. Remember there are lots of good bikes out there now for not much more cash. Classic rebuilds can be fun but they can be a money pit and as in the case of classic cars and m/cycles the financial rewards can be poor.
As an example I paid £50 for my Dawes and although I fitted new brooks saddle, chain, tyres, cables etc all it really needed were handlebar tape, chain and a good clean/lube.
Anyhow Good luck.

young Ed

Veteran
not a great pic but it looks to be in ok/fine condition but even so it won't fetch a fortune :sad:
if it were me unless i really wanted to get rid of it i would keep it to ride, assuming you are a cyclist and not just a workshop nut

[QUOTE 3113397, member: 30090"]Sorry to sound harsh but that looks a bit of a wreck, or maybe it is the photo.[/QUOTE]
what makes you think/say this?
Cheers Ed

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Super Galaxies are popular on eBay so you should get a good price. Just take some decent pics of it. Try to beg or borrow a decent camera, don't use a camera phone! And don't take photos in the late afternoon! Good luck.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I'd have thought £200-£300, unless especially nice (or especially ropey)

ayceejay

Guru
The bike looks nice but the photo is crap. Before the 'selfie' age it was always considered a no no to have yourself, even as a shadow, in the picture.
Why don't you keep it and ride it because even with a nice photo and a scantily clad girl on it you will get tyre kickers and eedjits that don't see what you see.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
In my experience you never restore anything with the idea of making money. Because if you do the job right, you will never be able to ask enough money for your time, effort and parts.

Steve

Top Bottom