Guitars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I've only ever bothered with electric guitars. Had loads of them all different budgets. The best I've had for the money by a mile is a Yamaha Pacifica 112V. Once setup properly it's way better than any Squire, Epiphone or other budget brands, had a couple of Vintage (brand) guiters, they were good, but not as good as the Yamaha. I've also had a couple of more expensive guitars, Maverick and a Tokai.

I'd spend a bit more on a Yamaha electro accoustic. I also had a Tanglewood accoustic that was really good. The best budget amps I've had have been from the Fender Mustang series. But things have maybe moved on since.

Gear for music is maybe fine though, I know that their keyboards are supposed to be good for the money. I'm sure somebody will have more idea of what your looking at though. Yamaha just seem to be very good for the money in my experience. Got my daughter a keyboard that was very good for the money.

With a thinline plastic body, I'd say you're sacrificing tone for playability, the amp and the pickup for that price. Thinline and bowlback bodies generally sound a bit weedy unless played through an amp, at which point the body shape is less relevant than the piezo under the saddle. Listen to anyone playing an Ovation from about 1970 onwards - sound great plugged in, not-so-great unplugged.

With the benefit of hindsight I'd suggest springing a bit more for just a guitar, whether electro-acoustic or not. Vintage and Tanglewood produce some amazingly good value guitars at a little above that price range, even before you get to Yamaha and onwards. You can worry about plugging in when you feel the need to play louder. If you're recording, spend the money on a decent mic and aim it at the 12th fret, never rely on the transducer.

I have a number of lovely acoustics and rarely, if ever feel the need to plug them in at home. These days it's just for the occasional party that the amp comes out (kids and cycling successfully put a stop to my gigging career) and at club nights (again, very occasional these days) the PA is provided... so between them the guitars 'perform' about 3 hours per year. My experience has been that the idea of playing amplified always seems more necessary than it is, unless you're gigging regularly. Of course, your mileage may vary, as they say.

Gear4Music stuff is, in my experience, OK for the price. Especially when starting out. And, in this case, as you already have a uke, it makes sense to buy the complete starter pack.
Have fun!

But beware: you could end up like me: 4 ukes, 2 electric guitars, 1 electro acoustic, 1 acoustic and a bass, along with half a dozen various amps....... 😊

the snail

Guru
That looks like a guitar shaped object to me. I'd look at spending a bit more (or go second hand), don't bother with pickups or amps unless you have a particular need for amplification. Look for something with a solid wood top, laminated wood back & sides. Yamaha are generally a good bet, I was looking at a vintage v300 which looked nice. Lots of decent options out there really. Gear4music are fine, but that looks a bit too cheap to me.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Gear4music stuff is Chinese sourced but should be fine. Only trouble is it won't fetch much when you want to sell.
I think you might be better off going secondhand, there are always a few bargains on Gumtree. Saw a Tanglewood Winterleaf on there for £180. Just buy the guitar and later add the amp. It's up to you.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
G4M customer service is good. Their own brand guitars are OK, perfectly useable, but nothing to write home about. Harley Benton stuff from Thomann (who also have an excellent customer service record) its much better for not much more money, although you may get stung for duty and fees now.

Top Bottom