H.E. Green and Ivor Holmes bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
A couple of bikes I owned back in 1963/4. I bought the H.E. Green frame and kitted it out as a bike for training (I had just started TT racing the year before).
plJ3s8xUj.jpg

plCkVrZqj.jpg

Later I bought this Ivor Holmes track bike from a friend
poiybnYzj.jpg

I liked the design of the Holmes, so I got my father to take me to the H.E. Green shop in London, so I could get them to respray my bike - and this is the result:

pnp9XUpuj.jpg

I raced both bikes (without a great deal of success) and really regret not having kept them when I stopped racing. Wish I had them now!

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Can't see these either which is a shame

OP
OP
Kempstonian

Kempstonian

I don't know if I have mentioned this before but the club member I bought the H.E. Green frame from said it used to be owned by Paul Bennett. I think he bought it from him.
I had my Carlton (in my other thread) sprayed by Ivor Holmes - or whoever he got to spray his frames. The shop was local to me and it was our Saturday morning hangout back in the day. One of our club members used to work in the shop. I was in the Luton Arrow cycling Club.

midlife

Guru
Wow :smile: . I'm a sort of kindred spirt about 10 years after you .. Loved riding a bike, rode for Hull Thursday, worked in a bike shop, time trialed, had a few bikes, have a few bits and pieces from BITD :smile:

Going back to your Carlton thread as the pics didnt come through first time :smile:

OP
OP
Kempstonian

Kempstonian

Yeah it was great fun being in a club. We did day runs and club runs on a Sunday to (usually) a pub where they did pre-booked teas (the club secretary booked them).

Did a day run to Oxford (from Luton) one Sunday in winter. It started snowing as we reached the outskirts of Oxford. We sat in a cafe eating our egg & chips while we watched snowflakes as big as saucers drifting down and settling.

Riding home was fun! We had to keep getting off and walking to stop our feet from freezing up. :smile:

Top Bottom