Hackney council and RLJ cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
No, the offence is about propelling a vehicle past the stop, not driving it, so Mr Bean's trick of pushing his car through was still an offence (as was the cyclist before him: if there had been a cycle track bypassing the light, it would have been legal).

IIRC, if the lights have failed and you've confirmed that right then by waiting long enough, you have a defence that the lights are themselves not legal, but should proceed cautiously and carefully... and I'd suggest that faffing about pushing your bike in the middle of the road would be neither.
I think you'll find that a person pushing a bike is considered to be a pedestrian, hence it is not now an offence to push a bike over a zebra crossing (as, I vaguely recall, it used to be).

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think you'll find that a person pushing a bike is considered to be a pedestrian, hence it is not now an offence to push a bike over a zebra crossing (as, I vaguely recall, it used to be).
Yes, but a pedestrian is capable of committing the offence of propelling a vehicle across a stop line.

Pushing a bike over a zebra has never been an offence. I think some believed it to be, then a famous case called Crank v Brooks established otherwise on appeal. I think that's where your correct "person pushing a bike is considered to be a pedestrian" comes from.

It's not an offence even to ride across a zebra. The offence is if one fails to give way to any pedestrians on the zebra.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Would I be right that the only strictly legal thing to do is to get off and lift your bike over the stop line?😯
Mr untested excuse is as @mjr wrote - the light is defective, therefore I can proceed. There is an example on a road near me that most Sunday's at about 7.33am I will treat as a give way. I have reported the lights 3 times without any reply so I have done my bit. I am not sure I would be brave enough to try if the Police were obviously around.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
This seems Ironic when my most recent anecdata was gathered while waiting to cross on foot at a light controlled junction last week. The lights changed and a chap on a bike slowed and stopped, but as the green man lit the following car drove straight through. :sad:

There is a set of traffic lights near me that doesn't respond to bikes
I have tried to just go carefully but I decided it was too dangerous - not great visibility for approaching cars looking at a green light to see an unexpected bike
I normally end up getting off and walking across using the pedestrian lights

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I brought it up because I'm one of those who wouldn't risk it even if I could see no other traffic. Not in that much of a hurry...
I will jump a red light if there's no other traffic around... it was usually at about 5.15am on my way to work, the green would change to red on my approach, as if Sod himself is operating the light. No other cars around and I'd ride on through... if there was another vehicle, I'd have to stop just so they didn't think I was one of those red light jumping cyclists :whistle:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Unless there is zero other traffic, there's no other way to do it but dangerously. It's there for a reason...
...which is that motorists cannot be trusted to negotiate and merge nicely, as they prove repeatedly. It is a great shame that cyclists are punished in at least two major ways for this failure of motoring: once by having red lights; and second by being fined if they dare ignore this motorist protection measure.

My favourite cycling crossroads video has been taken down, so here's a slightly quieter junction:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqQSwQLDIK8

Taking it to the extreme, would you also be 100% OK with the police spending all their time issuing fines to litterers and loiterers while pleading insufficient resources to investigate assaults and murders?
If that's what they deem appropriate, who am I to go and tell them how to do their job?

They know better than either of us how to use their resources.

WIth all these RLJ and stuff I do wonder sometimes which cyclists they catch

there was one reported somewhere round this area where they decided to crack down on cyclists putting lives at risk (apparently) by cycling through the pedestrianised part of the high street
They basically put some people on the area and when they spotted someone cycling in the area they stopped them and gave them a fixed penalty notice

problem was that to stop them they would run towards them or shout 'STOP'
so - guess what type of cyclist actually stopped, gave some ID and took the penalty
Yup - only the ones that were older and more responsible and carefully avoiding pedestrians

according to observation from locals - the local kids used to go round a loop where they went through the pedestrianised area multiple times at speed and laughed at people trying to stop them

So if the cops trying to book people are not in cars or on motorbikes - how are they going to stop/identify a kid on a bike who shoots trhough a red light
which is a fir description of the vast majority of red light jumpers round here
other areas may vary!!!

Top Bottom