Had a spill today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dave Davenport
Dave - I know it's Chain Reaction - but they've just sent out an e-flyer with lots of components reduced - including dura-ace shifters - might be of use...

Ta.

OP
OP
Dave Davenport
So that's another reason I shall add to my list for not joining a club.

If this had happened to me I'd be off the road now as I'd be unable to afford the repair costs.

It may well be 'one of those things' but someone started the ball rolling and you're left picking up the pieces, quite literally in terms of your shifter. Accidents don't just happen, they are caused. That's why the emergency services no longer refer to an RTA, (road traffic accident), it's now an RTC, (road traffic collision).

It's someones fault, but I guess if you can afford to stand the cost then happy days, I know I couldn't and subsequently I wouldn't couldn't let it lie.

In other words and to quote daytime TV advertising; 'where there's blame there's a claim'. I shouldn't worry about adding to your list of reasons not to join a club, frankly ours (and I suspect most others) wouldn't want anyone with that attitude anyway.

In other words and to quote daytime TV advertising; 'where there's blame there's a claim'. I shouldn't worry about adding to your list of reasons not to join a club, frankly ours (and I suspect most others) wouldn't want anyone with that attitude anyway.
You hit the nail on the head with attitude as far as clubs are concerned, although I've never had any real intention of joining one TBH simply as I have to balance cycling with a young family, and the clubs round here seem to spend all day on their Sunday rides, (the only time I could join them anyway). Plus I've always found I meet a nicer class of rider when I go out on my own or with my actual mates.

In a nutshell, I like cycling very much, but I wholly prefer my family.

I can't understand why you're getting on your high horse about the blame element. Of course someone is to blame, to say they aren't is just crazy, but presumably you can afford to repair the damage yourself, so there is no harm done and so you've no need to risk upsetting your club 'mates'.

As for daytime TV I wouldn't have clue as I'm gainfully employed full time.

OP
OP
Dave Davenport
As for daytime TV I wouldn't have clue as I'm gainfully employed full time.

Ah, I see your problem. I don't actually work for a living so don't have much trouble rustling up a couple of hundred quid when I need too, with the added bonus that I can get in two or three hundred miles a week and still not miss a single episode of Jeremy Kyle^_^

asterix

Comrade Member
Sympathise with the OP.

Am very careful riding in groups and really prefer not to!

When doing the Phil and Friends a while ago I rounded a sharp bend and straight in front was a pothole which I had to quickly divert round. Just after was a rider down with his two friends in attendance who said there was nothing I could do and an ambulance was on its way. Just minutes later, there was the ambulance. I'd guess the downed rider was the follower and they didn't have time to warn him of the pothole.

I'll never ride without being able to see beyond the rider in front and certainly not with wheel overlap. Maybe racers can't be so picky.

PK99

Legendary Member
. I'd guess the downed rider was the follower and they didn't have time to warn him of the pothole.

I'll never ride without being able to see beyond the rider in front and certainly not with wheel overlap. Maybe racers can't be so picky.

With proper hand signals along the group potholes etc are not a big hazard - dropping a hand to point at a hole becomes second nature.

i once brought down my club ride when i allowed my front wheel to overlap and it was taken out by the rider ahead of me - it is the responsibility of the following rider to avoid the overlap

asterix

Comrade Member
I know what you mean about signals but in the case I mentioned I doubt if the riders saw it in time as it was round a severe bend. They must have been reasonably competent riders.

Do racers in the peleton expect such signals or is it sauve qui peut?

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
I know what you mean about signals but in the case I mentioned I doubt if the riders saw it in time as it was round a severe bend. They must have been reasonably competent riders.

Do racers in the peleton expect such signals or is it sauve qui peut?

I did see hand signals whilst watching the giro warning of a downed rider on an blind right on a descent so I assume they do get it quite a bit

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom