Had an excellent ride in the mountains today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Haven't done a decent MTB ride in months, and some of the specific trails rode today I haven't done in even longer. Combined with the excellent weather its been a good day all round. Despite recent wet weather, it wasn't even that muddy.

However when I got home, I went to adjust my front derailer as the chain was rubbing. Turned out to be sod all wrong with the limiter settings, but the whole crankset was loose! Cant believe I have spent several hours, some of it along clifftops with a loose crankset! Easily remedied, just tighten up the 8mm allen bolt at the bottom bracket. Is this a known issue with some cranksets? There is no bolts on the left crank, just the big allen bolt on the drive side in the center of the BB and chainrings.

What crank? PIcture?

When you tighten it up, I would personally use a torque wrench. 38-40 Nm of torque, much less and it will work loose too easily, too much more, and you'll probably end up having to saw through the spindle to get the crankset off, to get to the PF30 cups / bearings, which are as flakey as hell, in my experience.

Top Bottom